𝙵 𝙾 𝚄 𝚁

"𝗢𝗵, 𝗷𝗼𝘀𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝘃𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴—" I say with as much certainty I can give and my eyes fail to recover my expression, "no, no...I know. I was just being arrogant — but, what if — she never forgives me? I mean we have fought, but never like this. She doesn't treat me the same anymore. The same eyes I have looked into since the very first day, they appear more dull as the days go on — I don't even know how to explain it." Joshua stammers as he cut me off — panic washing over him, rushing every single word. I hyper-fixated on a random corner of the bus, lost in my own thoughts but the only thing I knew for certain — y / n polluted every single inch of my mind since the moment I laid eyes on her. 

"Try"  I lean forward.

𝚃 𝙷 𝙰 𝚃 𝙴 𝚅 𝙴 𝙽 𝙸 𝙽 𝙶; 𝟻 : 𝟷 𝟽 𝙿 𝙼

𝙻 𝙴 𝚃 𝚂 𝚃 𝚁 𝙸 𝙿 𝚃 𝙾 𝚄 𝚁 𝙳 𝙰 𝚈 𝙵 𝙾 𝚄 𝚁

y / n and Joshua are arguing so loudly I can hear them twenty yards off and over the loud bass playing through the speakers of Trill rehearsing for tonight. I sure didn't want to listen, neither did I want to interrupt. The voices suddenly drop with the slam of a door. Once my clothes are on, I walk to the opposite side of the room.  I stare out the blinds at the blue sky beyond of the fitting room, seeing the sun is ready to fall — after a few minutes I'm lulled into a sort of peace of the new found silence.

The sky, the sky — same as it always was and always will be. I haven't seen y / n since last night and Joshua wasn't any better. They both seemed to be avoiding each other at all cost — until now. I didn't want to face either of them — I was admit-tingly ashamed and quite embarrassed to be the subject of the argument between the couple.

Looking over at the next building I see a latter leading up to the roof — I make sure to make a mental note as the door abruptly opens making me jump in my place

"Dammit Chris! I said give me —"

I turn around to see y / n, blinking mournfully through her tears, she looks defeated and her posture was weak as she stood frozen in front of the closed door.

"sorry." 

Despite being several feet away, my body language radiated such sympathy. I rushed to her side, "y / n — are you okay?"  I felt smaller, almost child-like as I grabbed her hand — bringing her over to the chair. She sits down as I crouched in front of her as she began mutter words, "remember what I said last night, how he can be so charming and then unrecognizable, well — I know that's not the love I fell for — Matthew I don't know what to do. He accused me of being unfaithful — with....you!"  She was hesitant over her words and I stare in horror. I have no sisters and my limited experience with comforting women has always been over something a hell of a lot less devastating than this. After a few moments of indecision, I lay a hand on her shoulder — doing my best to give her them comfort she deserved.

She turns and falls against me, pressing her wet cheek into my sweater. I rub her back, making shushing noises until her tears finally subside into jerky hiccups. Then she lifts her head up — her eyes directly meeting mine — our faces being only inches apart. 

Her eyes and nose are swollen and pink, her face slick with tears. She sniffs and wipes her lower lashes with the back of each hand, as though that will do any good. Then she straightens her shoulders as she stands up — looking at me with those eyes. "I'm sorry for everything — sorry that Josh....is being a jerk and you were brought into all of this." I gaze toward the window as I try to pull out an answer from my mind, seeing the latter. "Are you sure-footed?" I ask her, she tilts her head in confusion — her eyes following mine before seeing the latter herself. She huffed a laugh, "I suppose so."

As I grip onto the last metal bar, I pull myself onto the roof. The sun was now setting and I was looking back at the same sky. I sat on the rough cement leaning back against a wall — Y / n walked over, sitting next to me. "Y / n, what I am about to say, don't take it the wrong way or dig too deep within my words." She nods, looking at me.

"You can tell me the truth." She says. I take a deep breath trying to find the right words. There is a still silence between us both — I was afraid how she would respond, the girl had been through a lot. She didn't deserve any of this and Joshua putting all of this on her; especially before tour is — unfair. I understand were he was coming from, I know I look at her with adoring eyes, who wouldn't? Even from my perspective, it just makes me wonder how she doesn't see it herself.

The sun was just above the horizon and the sky was now painted a mixture of pastel colors. I found the courage within the clouds to speak up as chest started pounding at the rate of my heart.

"If there is one thing I've gathered, you cannot be wise and in love at the same time. You told me that he wasn't the love you fell for and he is unrecognizable — maybe he isn't so oblivious after all...maybe he sees that you're getting wise. It's scaring him — so of course, he is going to think of the first thing he see's — so he watched us in the elevator and pinned us as the blame all because he doesn't want to blame himself when he is well aware it's his fault he is losing you."

Tears well in the brim of her waterline, "Matthew—" she says, trying to catch my gaze, I turn to face her, "mmm?"

"I'm afraid I've been wise for far too long."