prologue.

death wasn't the most awesome thing in the world.

sure, the mischief and gossips that spread throughout the inferno was entertaining, adding that to his shadow manipulation, now limited in his hell. it was a lonely hell of his- chained forever to a haunting copy of his old home, flower fruit mountain- the memories that came in wisps by were torturing.

over the centuries (he had guessed, other than that, it felt that long) his hatred for the monkey king grew stronger and stronger.

 it felt as if by the force of sheer anger, he'd burst out of hell, rampaging through the circles before he snapped every bone in that simian's body. then he'd dump him in a cliff, and as for extra measure to not repeat the same mistake buddha did, drop two mountains on him.

as much as of a good plan it sounds, he was stuck in this torturing version of what he once called home. he looks at his hands, shackled in chains. macaque tried everything to rip it off, but it seemed that once you were dead, it was that. his fingers trace the ground, remembering the little monkeys that scampered around, playing some sort of unknown game the six-eared monkey couldn't figure out.

the memory of sun wukong flashed like a bang, and he realized the loud rumble was his fist curled up deep into the ground, leaving an enormous hole on the stonework floor.

little curls of smoke and debris form at his knuckles. he ignores the throbbing pain. there was nothing that hurt more than a lost...ally. macaque wished he could go back in time to warn himself- his naive, trusting self, to never hold sentiment onto empty promises.

sulking in the steps of the stone mansion, he looks up to try and see the fruits beared this season.

oh wait, there wasn't.

and even if there was, it'd be peaches- the damn smell he grew to loathe over centuries. it was nothing more than a painful reminder of what once was.

a light flashes before his eyes. how odd, because last time he felt that, he was murdered by his best friend, dearly thank you very much. he was already dead, and so his interest spiked up. barely anything interesting here.

a woman's voice sliced through the muffled whispers around his prison, a little too loud of his liking. "liu'er mihou."

wait, this voice sounded familiar...

"lady bone demon?" he rasped, throat hoarse from the years he spent by himself alone. if she was here, then...that's not good.

she chuckles in response, flutters of ice and flakes starting to surround him. the blue hurt his eyes since he was used in the darkness.

"you are correct."

"what are you doing here?" a cold chill encased his spine.

"to free you from your prison." he could feel her smile. "revive you, to simply put it. i shall use my power to help you escape this prison." a pause. "wasn't it suffocating here? lonely, perhaps, after all those centuries?"

"cut to the chase, lady. what do you want?" he narrows his gaze at the beam of light. "i'm sure no one comes waltzing here to free this monkey out of pure amusement. you must have something you want me to do."

"you are correct, liu'er mihou. i have something i want you to do, in exchange for your life on the living realm."

flakes start to gather around a certain area, combusting in a spark to reveal an image of a key. it had a skull embedded into its design, and its hollow eyes glared wickedly down at him.