8.Twenty-Four Years Past

I'm Life? What the fuck does that even mean? What other powers do I have? Do I even have more? Where on God's green Earth did they come from?

"Ever been curious why the number 25 is so important to you or why you can see me?"

My head is spinning; I can't handle that bullshit right now. That doesn't matter; the person I am, I have always known myself to be, is a lie, my identity is falling apart.

"I don't care; you just told me I have to leave everything I know and that I'm not what I've always thought myself to be."

"I know, but I need you to focus on what I just asked."

"Are you going to answer my questions too, this time?"

"Yes."

I can't believe I have to resort to compromising with a clown.

"Yes, I guess I always questioned it."

"Do you remember anything from the day you were born?"

"Yes."

What is this leading to?

"What was it?"

"It was you, umm...you were in the hospital room, and we locked eyes before you winked at me."

"Anything else?"

Did he do something else? I think that was all he did before disappearing...

"Not that I know of. Do you know?"

"Did you feel anything before I arrived?"

Pain, unbearable pain.

"A little."

He eagerly moves forward and leans in. "What was it?'

"I was suffocating, the pain was unbearable, and all I heard screeching."

"Did it ever stop?"

"Yeah, when we locked eyes, the screeching went away."

He grabs his chin and starts to pace. "Probably a siren is warning you." He mumbles.

"Wait!"

His head snaps to me. "What."

"I remember back then your wings..they were pure white."

He must've fallen out with God after that day.

He seemed uncomfortable and hesitant. "Yeah, they were."

"When did they change?"

He looked up at me, wearing a mask of sorrow. "After I kissed you."

"What the fuck. Why?"

He brings his hands up in a defensive gesture. "Wait, wait, wait. I am not a pedophile. I gave you the kiss of death on your head before I winked at you."

Why does it feel like hiding something else from me?

"What the hell is that?"

"I wasn't supposed to, but I gave you a second chance at life."

He wasn't supposed to, but he saved me.

Hearing Death himself choosing to save my life made me feel special.

"Why"

"I-I saw something gleam within your chest and eyes, and it intrigued me."

"What about my eyes?"

He appeared tense and on edge.

Why is he so nervous about his reasoning for saving me?

"In all my time serving as the Angel of Death, I have never come across someone with a multicolored soul and eyes like yours; something about coming across a pure rarity made me feel...strange."

Strange? What the fuck you mean, strange?

"Strange? Describe the feeling."

Aurora relax, you're asking far too much; asking to describe a feeling you never felt before is like asking someone to describe tell a color they have never seen.

"I can't describe it; it was just...strange...it was ethereal. "

Me, Aurora, making you, someone who's otherworldly feel ethereal? I refuse to believe it.

" Why not ask God about it?"

Speaking of God, I wonder how he felt about Death sparing my life. Is that the reason Death fell? Am I the reason for his falling? How does he think about falling out with God? Is that why he was so tense in the elevator? Is that why he was angry at me for calling God?

"He said I'll have to find out for myself; you're about to turn twenty-five, so I wanted to see if anything has changed."

"Has anything changed?"

He spared me. That's why I can see him. Twenty-five hours, twenty-five years, and he returns to see if there's change. Will he leave and then come back when I'm 50, or is he going to do something else? How can he find a difference if he doesn't know what he's looking for?

"Your eyes and soul haven't changed, but I can't grasp this feeling."

My heart constricted at those words. I am not sure why but they frightened me. Why does it scare me?