8. Hot vs Cold

¨Who's Vergil?¨

He's a -

Death's icy voice cuts my thoughts. ¨How long is the period?¨

¨Until her immortality is complete.¨

That's right; I'm still dying; I need the other four relics.

Unspoken turmoil lingers in the air as silence falls upon us. I shift my weight from foot to foot as I await their next move. I take a deep breath, and it hits me.

Castillo smells like roasted hazelnuts...it's warm.

I breathed in more profound, closing my eyes, relishing in all of what the slice of heaven offered. I crash from heaven at the sound of Death's voice.

¨What are you smiling on about?¨

My grin immediately drops, and my brows knit together. I step back, creating distance between us; he returns a pained expression.

¨Do you feel safer over there?¨ I look behind me and see Castillo, his face plain and indifferent. My eyes drift lower, and they spot a silver, a tiny flicker of silver flame. I turn back to Zeke, shrugging.

I didn't even know he was there.

I open my mouth to respond, and he cuts me short. We'll talk about this later.¨

Keep this up, and you'll be alone later.

¨Castillo might as well give up the period won't be for long.¨

Exactly why it's permitted for us to distribute the time equally.

Don't talk for or around me.

¨I think you all gun the gun; I would instead focus on the mission at hand. If you idiots switch out I don't care!¨

Aurora.¨ I turn to Death, and he gives me a knowing look; I nod before he departs.

Castiel strides forward. ¨And then they were two.¨

¨Do you know where the third temple is?¨

¨Of course, can't you sense it?¨

I wouldn't have asked if I - never mind ¨No, lead the way.¨

He steps back and kneels. ¨Forgive me, it's been a while.¨

I watch his jaw tense as his veins define and he grips into the concrete. He burns a tremendous white before a pair of enormous emerge from his back; the white dulls as he crawls to a stand.

I hold my breath as I take in the wonder before me. They aren't the same.

I step to examine closer. His wings are like marble, pure granite with streaks of white. It is s if the purity is a white flaming dancing in the cracks; it sways in the moonlight.

Girl, don't tell me you-

"Damn these angels and the night."

Please don't blame them for your low standards and being easily impressed.

"Easily impressed? He betrayed God for me!"

That's what he says.

"What?"

Before I could get an answer, a warm hand meets the small of my back, and a cool gust hits my ear.

¨I hope you're good with heights.¨

I'm not

¨We should walk, I get cold easily.¨

He chuckles as his hold tightens. ¨Good thing you're with Heaven's flame.¨

He shifts as he takes off; all the air is knocked out of me.

I look down, and nothing is recognized. It's like the bullshit they say in movies ¨everything is tiny, and the people look like ants" yeah, it's true.

I hold my head, trying to steady my mind.

You're lying; this isn't real; it just isn't

I attempt to escape by sliding out of his arms, strengthening his grip.

¨I wouldn't do that if I were you.¨

I ignore his warning and push harder; his fingertips sink into my thighs as I shiver. I kick harder as I begin to hyperventilate, my breathing even as he slides me closer to his chest.

¨I told you you're with heaven's flame; you'll always be safe.¨

Safe? You almost killed me!

I hold my heart as I look around.

Nothing but clouds.

Well, I think it's romantic!

"I think you're a pain in my backside."

His chin taps my head as he begins to dive down.

¨I will make this as gentle as possible.¨

Girl, you heard that? He said he'd be gentle.

"Where's your loyalty?"

Rachel's laughter echoes through my mind. I don't believe that it's my fault you had your head in the gutter.

""Head in the gutter?" you meant that!"

Child child, you don't know what I meant, don't put words in my mouth!

"Child? I'm grown, and I know what you meant!"

A voice cuts my thoughts. "You must like being in my arms."

I think the fuck not. "Pardon?"

He smiles down at me. " you like being in my arms because we've landed and left."

I find we're on solid ground and immediately jump for his hold as if he were hot coal.

Shifting away, I bump straight into a wall. This is it; can you feel it?

Can I feel wha—

I cover my mouth, feeling sick to my stomach as screams enter my mind.

Terror, terror, nothing but —

I claw at the clock on my arm. Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop!

The internal crises manifest in sounding alarms as the field lights turn on.

I cover my ears as a Terror escapes me, shattering the lights.

Two arms wrapped around me, running and carrying me away as I faded out.