thirteen

sophie ran her hands through her messy hair and ran them down her face while releasing a sigh. technically this was her fault, but it was more fun blaming jamie for distracting her from school. she knew what the midterm project was for almost two months now, and in a week it was due. it was all jamie's fault.

there was a little part of her that was glad jamie was coming, if she was alone she would just stare at the canvases and think about how much work she had to do. maybe now she will at least do something. jamie always gave her motivation.

speaking of jamie, her phone in her back pocket buzzed and she saw a text from jamie saying that he was here. it took him like forty minutes to get here, so she knew that traffic was bad right now. she would probably be sleeping in this studio tonight.

she got up, grabbed her lanyard that had her id on it, and walked outside the door and down the stairs to go get jamie. she opened the door and squinted her eyes at the sunlight beaming right into her eyes. she placed her hand over her eyes and looked at jamie, he was wearing a ducks t-shirt, black sweatpants, and his usual backwards hat.

she made eye contact with him and his eyes widened a little bit before he gained composure. she frowned and held open the door for him to walk in, "don't say anything," she warned him. it wasn't that she looked terrible, it was just that she looked tired, and he was worried. she was wearing pants that the boys called her 'hippie parachute' pants and one of thatcher's old usa hockey hoodies.

he put his hands up, "i didn't do anything."

"your facial expression shows everything."

she heard him mutter a little sorry before he silently looked over her. "how long have you been here?"

sophie's face scrunched up in thought, "i don't even know what time it is, but i got here at 6."

his eyes widened again, "am?" he exclaimed.

"yeah," she released a long breath.

"didn't know you getting up that early was possible," he muttered to which she slapped him on his chest. jamie chuckled and slapped her hand away with his good arm. she narrowed her eyes at him playfully and caused him to do the same. seconds later they both broke out into quiet laughter and sophie started to walk towards the stairs that lead to the studio room she was using.

jamie followed her around with watching eyes, he knew she spent a lot of time here. whenever she wasn't answering him or the group chat he would check her snapchat location and most times she was here. it was cool to see this part of sophie's life that they didn't see that much. he knew about some things because she wanted to show him her art assignments, but he really didn't know much about her school life. he did know about the vending machine in this building though, she always bragged about it.

she opened a door and then said, "welcome to my apartment for the next week," she swept her hands dramatically as if it was a big revealing.

he started clapping, going along with her dramatics. "lovely space really," he said gesturing to the crushed-up energy cans and the empty gusher wrappers all over the floor.

"thank you i appreciate it," she said sarcastically, holding her hands over her heart.

jamie grinned at her before gesturing to the empty canvases everywhere. "what's going on with this?"

"stalling. that's what's going on."

he nodded, "why are you stalling?"

she shrugged, "i know what i want to do, but i couldn't find the right place to start yet."

he nodded that he understood, "well i would just start, i am no artist, but it's your project you can start it however you want."

she stared at the canvases in thought, she took jamie's words and sat down in front of the first canvas. his lips twitched up as he watched her pick up a pencil and start sketching out a couple of figures that he had no clue what they were. he took out his phone and took a picture of the girl who looked so in focus. he looked back at the picture and smiled to himself.

he sat down in the chair in the corner of the room and started busying himself on his phone. time flew by, sophie sketched, and jamie looked at his phone while taking peeks at sophie and her art. every now and then jamie went to the venting machine around the corner and got her a new pack of gushers.

they sat there for a couple of hours, sophie working, and jamie playing serval rounds of cod mobile and clash of clans. he got severely bored at some moments, and she noticed that and stopped to take a break to talk to him. she smiled at him every time a new packet of opened gushers appeared in front of her. she would ask jamie how things looked or asked for his advice on placement or colors. she even let him draw a little box and paint it his favorite color. he mixed brown with a little bit of yellow and black. he smiled at it before looking at her with flushed cheeks.

eventually, jamie forced sophie to pack everything up and leave. she had been in there for more than twelve hours and he knew that she wasn't feeling the greatest. he threatened to carry her out, but then she finally rolled her eyes and got up. it wasn't the most exciting day, but for them, it was a fun day.