Chapter Five: The False Quest

The group agreed that in order to fool Sir Godly that there would be a staged escape. While Calvin still wasn't a fan of letting his enemy go free, he also didn't want Casey to get lost and never return either.

Casey and Jack ran down the dungeon stairs with the key, being chased by goblins behind them. Casey came up to Sir Godly's cell and unlocked the door. "We need to get out of here before they catch us. I learned how we are supposed to defeat the goblin king. It's his only weakness."

"You? Casey the one who can't find her way around the world knows how to defeat the goblin king?" Sir Godly shook his golden hair. "I find that hard to believe."

I've never been a good liar but I was hoping he would have believed me anyway.

As Casey fumbled for words Jack stepped forward and untied the rope from Sir Godly's body. "The wizard told us before he was taken away, never to be seen again. We must find an enchanted toy that will turn the goblin kings mind to that of a child and make him harmless forever."

It was far fetched, was it believable?

Sir Godly seemed to accept Jack's answer more readily as Casey undid the muzzle on Meme.

"I can't believe they'd treat me like some animal. Granted I would have sunk my teeth into them but still—I have feelings," Meme grumbled, popping his jaw in either direction.

"The wizard told me a way that we can get out of here, it's just around the corner," Jack stated, continuing with his tale of lies.

"And you'd just trust that? What if he works for the goblin king? What if he's just spouting random nonsense because he's some crazy old man?" Sir Godly asked while searching for something to use as a weapon. "I saw we blaze our way straight to the throne room and take on the goblin king now. I am a strong knight, what can he do against me?"

"Th-that's not a good idea," Casey protested. "He's huge. He could eat you, or smash you with his hammer. This toy is our only chance."

"Do you take me for a coward, Casey the fool?" Sir Godly grabbed a loose stone and tossed it into the air a few times. "I've fought an ogre bare-handed and come out alive, I've braved a cave full of dragons, I've crossed the seas full of monsters, but I am still standing. I will not flee from the goblin king."

Calvin came up behind Sir Godly and clocked him hard in the head, causing the knight to pass out. "Tell him some goblins attacked and he got knocked out. Then carry on your quest."

Meme bristled. "What is this?" The dragon looked between everyone. "Are we—are we working for the goblin king? Is that puny human the goblin king!"

"Shhhhh," Casey patted the dragon's head. "We don't want to disturb Sir Godly."

"This is going to disturb him a lot. . . It disturbs me too considering we were just kidnapped and thrown into a cell." Meme stepped back, baring his fangs. "I don't trust the stick man."

"He's my brother, it's okay," Casey assured, bending down to be closer to eye level with the dragon. "We can trust him."

"Family does not equate to trust, all of my family walked out on me, what's to prevent your brother from stabbing you in the back?" The dragon arched his body. "Did you even know he was here?"

"Well no but—"

"Point made, blind trust is stupid. Let's just leave while we can and never come back."

Casey didn't know what to say. Part of her agreed with Meme. After her brother being gone so long he could be an untrustworthy person, but the other half of her wanted to trust him because he was her brother after all. Why shouldn't she trust him?