Chapter I: Where?

*Yawn*

Where am I? Why is this room completely white? What is going on?

So I realize I should probably be scared, but something about this room is strangely... comforting. It's familiar, and I feel like I should have been here before...

*Light Flashes*

"Ahhh!" I yell. Suddenly, a blinding light burns into my eyes. I hear footsteps.

Is anyone there? I think. I swivel my head around in all directions, to see no one and nothing. No, that's not right... Something is there that seems far in the distance, even within this small room. I attempt to approach it, but it appears as though I make no progress.

What is going on?

*Light Flashes*

"Ahhhh, why!" I scream in pain. My eyes are burning and I get dizzy. As I fall, the floor parts and I fall through, onto something... cozy? Where am I?

I look around at my surroundings, taking a few steps back in the process. I look back at where I fell to. A grand uniform and jewelry stand before my eyes. A uniform just like those of the Urvalikal wear. Behind them, a large mirror seemed to shimmer into existence, spinning slowly. On the back, an ancient-looking note read Alsa, ulu'me-alaar.

I'd taken one course on the magical language, so I can roughly translate this to "awaken, divine light." Suddenly, it dawns on me where I might be. I felt compelled to read it. Time slowed down. I could hear my heartbeat, like faint drums in the distance, getting closer, closer. I read it.

"Alsa, ulu'me-alaar."

The world around me faded, and the faint glow of the mirror grew brighter, brighter.

Meanwhile

"What do you mean you can't leave? You guys have been here since last night, why won't you tell me what's going on!" My mom says, practically yelling. I woke up with the mirror in my room. I checked my closet, and sure enough, the Urvalik uniform was there.

So it wasn't a dream, I thought.

I walk out of my room, and see my sister do the same. As far as I can tell, it's still pretty early in the morning. I walk towards the noise and see there're 2 guards at the entrance to the corridor where the bedrooms are.

"What's going on?" I ask one. No response for a few seconds, then:

"Glad to see you're awake, Urvalik." They both bow, unblinking. I thought it was a little creepy.

I walk to the living room, where I see my mom arguing with a guard and a old man. She caught a glimpse of me and ran over.

"I'm glad you're safe," she says.

"Thanks mom. I'm glad too."

I bow to the elder to show my respect, then he too, like the guards, bowed to me.

"And, so, another one rises."

How was it? Let me know in the comments!