Sforzando

I finished unpacking the last of my things. This was it. My new life in Singapore. A sigh escaped my lips as I thought about the past year. Never in a million years would I have considered moving to Singapore to finish out my studies and my family was furious. But after I was accepted into University, I felt that the farther from home I was the better. But I can't dwell on what happened. I need to move forward. Forward, to the grocery store, because my fridge is completely empty. Slipping my gray vans on, I force myself out of my apartment. Today seemed like the perfect day to try out my recipe for Vietnamese Noodle Soup.
   After quite a bit of wandering, I stumbled upon the local supermarket. I wandered around attempting to find all the ingredients I needed despite my extremely limited mandarine. Surprisingly, I succeeded. The excursion took several hours, but I guess that was to be expected. Finally, I was able to leave the store with my bags of groceries. As I was walking, someone... or more accurately... two someone's slammed into my side. Before I could process what was happening, I felt a burning sensation on the right side of my leg and palms. I heard two voices speaking urgently in mandarine. Their voices sounded familiar, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. "Ow..." I sat staring at my scraped up palms. I felt a pair of hands grasp my forearms. I looked up to see a pair of headlights approaching as the hands yanked me out the street. "My groceries!" I looked out at the demolished bags of ingredients. Good thing I forgot to use the reusable bags I made.
   "Are you okay?" Once the man spoke English I immediately realized why their voices seemed so familiar. I'd can't believe I didn't recognize them.
   "Uh... yeah, I'm fine..."
   "We're so sorry! We were so worried about being late for our show that we ran right into you!"
   "Yeah, and we should've just helped you instead of assuming you spoke mandarine." The second voice I definitely recognized."
   "It's fine. It was fair to assume I speak mandarine." I turned to find myself face to face with the two people who unknowingly were the only people able to comfort me about...it. Although, I couldn't hide my disappointed expression as I glace at my demolished dinner plans.
   "We're really sorry about your groceries." Eddy followed my gaze with equivalent disheartenment.
   "It's fine."
   "Are you going to our show?"
   "No, I just moved here. I planned on spending my whole day unpacking and gathering kitchen essentials."
"Those were your idea of essentials"
"That was tonight's dinner. So... yeah...."
   "Oh, listen, we feel terrible. So why don't you come to our show and after dinner's on us? Our show might not really be your thing. But it's the least we can do after knocking you into the street and ruining your dinner plans."
   I looked at the sad remnants of what was supposed to be my dinner. I know I'd sworn to myself that under no circumstances was I to socialize with anyone. But it took me all day to get those ingredients. I was exhausted and really didn't feel like going through all that again. It would probably be a little faster since I knew where what I needed was. But it'd be nice to get a break from the language barrier. My brain felt like the noodles I was planning on making. Besides, what harm could it cause? The odds of me ever running into them again are slim to none so becoming friends with them isn't even a possibility that I need to be worried about.
   "I guess that would be okay. As long as you promise you're not axe murderers." They may be TwoSet, but I still don't know them personally.
   "I peroxide we're not ace murderers." The boys laughed at my suspicious gaze.
   "That's exactly what axe murderers would say."
   "Fair. Guess, you'll just have to take our word for it."
   "Hmm... I guess I'll take your word for it. But if you guys murder me in an ally somewhere before dinner, I'm going to be really upset."
"Change of plans. We're going to have to wait until after dinner to...you know..." Eddy whispered to Brett loud enough so that I could hear. But I just crossed my arms and made a poor attempt at not smiling.
"How far are we." I looked at Eddy trying to keep my face from turning red at the banter that I'd successfully started."
"It's not very far. We're about two blocks away."
"Then I should probably stop chatting. We need to hurry."
"I think we'll be able to make it."
"I have to be honest guys, I'm not the best runner."
"After The Dinner Dilemma, I think we should just walk very quickly."
"Yeah, probably." Brett and I spoke in unison and I felt my face ignite. Stop, you're literally never going to see them again. Besides, you're not making the same mistakes twice.