Until We Meet Again

"Ah, where has she gone again... She better not pass out in the middle of nowhere like last time. Why do they even keep her around at this point?.."

One of the other guards spoke, his voice just barely reaching Kanade, clear enough for her to understand every word.

In her memories, one of the worst days of her life was when the royal family finally decided she was old enough to become a guard.

Her father worked as a knight, but since she's physically not in great shape, they had her as guard.

Though really, it's nearly the same thing.

And now here she was again, heading to the middle of the forest surrounding the kingdom, hoping to not be spotted as she was trying to get out of practise.

Sure, skipping it got Kanade in trouble everytime, but it made her dizzy and she would always pass out, it really just shows how unfit she really was for the position.

She ends up by the same tall tree, thick enough to hide her in case anyone comes here. She often enjoyed sitting out and just not doing anything, simply being there.

She ran her fingers through the soft grass, the wind sending a shiver down the girls spine.

This is how it always has been. Before she turned fifteen, she'd only really be helping out the maids or watching her dad fighting, but now it was her duty to guard the palace.

She was skinny, underweight, weak, short, anemic and unhealthy. The opposite of what a guard should be like.

Now, Kanade was seventeen, still the same, not changed one bit. That was obvious, seeing her zoning out while she tries to avoid any guards or knights passing by.

Honami was probably worried about her at this time, she was only a nurse but enjoyed helping around the place and though she was just a bit older than Kanade, she still looked after her whenever she got the chance.

She knew the silver haired girl always misses out on practise, but usually she hides in the library, catching up on some sleep or thinking about various things, zoning outand relaxing.

The guard didn't know many people at the castle. She had only spoken to the knights Mizuki and Akito once or twice when they found her sneaking away from practise.

She's seen the jester, Emu, around the area as well, she would often be found entertaining visiters, the prince, Tsukasa Tenma, talking with the princess, Saki Tenma, or hanging around the library waiting for Nene, the librarian, to show up.

Kanade didn't feel in place there. It felt like everyone had so much importance, so much impact on about everything, so strong and powerful, but Kanade was just, well, Kanade. Nothing special.

The breeze brushed against her face once more.

Her daydreaming was cut short when she flinched at the sound of a branch breaking somewhere nearby.

Immediately, she got on her feet to see who it was.

There, stood a girl, carefully making out the features of Kanades face, later barely noticeably sighing in relief.

"Ah, I'm sorry miss, are you from the Wings Kingdom?" asked the guard.

"No, I'm not. Sorry, it seems i wandered off too far." the mysterious girl answered hesitantly.

Her long dark violet hair shined in the sun, following the winds direction. Her attire seemed too fancy to be called casual, but too normal to be considered royal. An obsidian black fur coat over what seemed to be an old fashioned dress and some boots.