[1] impressions

∽↭↠☾a/n☽↞↫∽

The story will start with how they met. This will follow the canon story briefly (with some deviations) and then shift. I'll try avoiding the main canon as nothing changes much besides their relationship, and what happens between them are more important. First impressions matter, after all. Some OOCness; Zoro becomes a simp, etc.

∽↭↠☾end of a/n☽↞↫∽

.

.

.

"A-are you sure you want to get him out of all people, Luffy-san?" the pink-haired child had a face of terror. "How about this one? I think he-"

"Coby, I've decided!" the taller male grinned excitedly. "We're going to Shells Town. Lead the way."

"Just wait a minute!" the younger male pleaded. He did not share the same passion for the intimidating swordsman on the yellowed poster. "There's no way someone like that would join your crew, he's a pirate hunter, and you're a pirate!"

"I said I've decided. I'll find a way," Luffy shot his arms into the air eagerly. The wind knocked the single sheet of paper out of his hands, prompting the teen to stretch his rubbery hands to retrieve it.

"You're awfully attached to that poster, Luffy-san..." the shorter male adjusted his eyewear and sighed in acceptance of his new friend's conviction. It had only been a few minutes since the straw hat-wearing teenager noticed the greenette's wanted poster.

There were arguably better options besides the terrifying swordsman, but Coby choked it up to his lack of knowledge about pirates in general. They hadn't exactly garnered the best reputation, but oddly enough, he had been rescued by a rookie pirate babbling about becoming the King of the Pirates.

"W-well, I guess we'll go to Shells Town. Say Luffy-san, why do you want this swordsman in particular?" the smaller male began rowing the boats. There wasn't much to interpret from the straw hat boy's personality and Coby learned that fact himself. He was fully anticipating an answer along the lines of: 'he looks dangerous. I want dangerous. I like dangerous.'

"I don't know. I just want him I guess. He looks... cool," Luffy responded. His usual joyous demeanor was absent in his answer. The teen folded the paper and shoved them haphazardly in his pocket. He leaned back lazily and enjoyed the ocean breeze.

∽↭↠☾☁☽↞↫∽

The two arrived at their destination and Coby quickly docked to appease the impatient Luffy. Shells Town was a lively settlement, filled to the brim with vendors and customers alike roaming the streets. The straw hat boy immediately noticed the smell of meat that roused his tastebuds. In no time, he dragged the pink-haired boy by the arm into a bar restaurant.

"Hey, bartender! Meat and water for us please!" Luffy waved at the woman behind the counter. She tensed and dropped her cleaning towel.

"Oh... oh! I'm sorry, yes I'll be right back with it," she began pouring a clear liquid into two glass cups and placed them in front of the two males. "Our cook will be done with the food soon. I'm so sorry for not noticing you earlier. It's been a pretty slow day."

"Eh? Why's that? I could smell such yummy food coming from in here," the dark-haired boy grinned. He took a sip of the water in front of him before setting it down, leaning both his elbows on the wooden counter.

"Well, something happened here a few days ago, and..." she trailed off with a look of guilt. The cloth in her hand froze amidst her trance. "There was this swordsman who protected my daughter from a dog. It just so happens to belong to the marine captain's son, Helmeppo."