[2] wingman

∽↭↠☾a/n☽↞↫∽

There will still be bits of the main story mentioned from now on to establish where the story is according to the canon, then focus more on the crew and Zoro/Luffy interactions. This will probably be true for all parts left of the book. (P.S.: Deviation from canon.)

∽↭↠☾end of a/n☽↞↫∽

.

.

.

There was no way Zoro could have expected such a turn of events. Whether his life turned for better or worse would be debatable for years to come. He had packed food for the two enough for three weeks with the aid and generosity of the townsfolk from Shells Town.

Witnessing his captain's voracious appetite at the restaurant bar was entertaining until they were now ocean-borne and not a scrap of food in sight. Zoro was generous in his own right to blame himself for being underprepared for their journey, but his patience was thinning when the airheaded straw hat-wearing boy himself was caught in the beak of a large, pink bird.

"YOU IDIOT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING," the swordsman paddled furiously toward the bird's direction. He muttered curses under his breath for needing to deal with such a troublesome person for a 'leader.'

"HELPPPP," the younger male's screams grew fainter by the minute. As irritated as the swordsman was, he found it amusing. Zoro was now returning the favor after being saved by this loudmouth. He believed he would've escaped regardless, but the gesture from the boy was both new to him and accepted by him.

"Damn it, Luffy! Think before you act," Zoro groaned as the bird in the distance shrank to the size of a raisin. 

He wasn't too worried as the presence of any avian meant land was nearby. It relieved him somewhat, but the swordsman still couldn't help but be concerned. Remembering how the boy recklessly flung his rubber body at the giant creature replaced that feeling with anger again.

A small boat cruised by the shaken swordsman. It was bigger than the dinghy the green-haired male was in, but the vessel was still notably small compared to a regular ship. The exterior was painted purple with black stripes decorating the rest. On the sail was a skull crossed by bones and an odd, bright-red nose. It was no mathematical equation for Zoro to know they were pirates.

"What do we have here?" one of the three pirates onboard said condescendingly. His arms were crossed with a complacent smirk on his face. The swordsman's pace had slowed out of exhaustion, enabling him to meet the eyes of the men. Even though he was tired, his gaze terrified the unknowing pirates.

"We-We're the Buggy Pirates! Hand over your treasure!" the other man spoke with a single drop of sweat trickling down the side of his head.

The unamused swordsman raised an eyebrow and rested the paddles at the sides. A moment or two later, the three rowed the boat for the tanned male and apologized profusely for their 'inconsiderate' behavior. Multiple bumps on their heads marked the swordsman's dominance over them.

∽↭↠☾☁☽↞↫∽

"Let me go, you pink chicken!" Luffy was struggling to escape the bird's clutches. It cawed a high-pitched squeal in response to his comment.

Up ahead, he could see an island decorated with houses from his elevation. With the few brain cells left functioning in him, the dark-haired male unleashed a powerful punch, sending the creature and himself crashing into the ground below.

Luffy crashed into the sturdy pavement, shards of the concrete flooring jetting upwards from the force of his fall. Any regular person would have suffered a broken bone or two from that height, but the boy's unnaturally convenient rubber traits prevented such injuries.