Prologue

The world had teeth and it could bite you whenever it wanted. Humanity knew that, so they bit back harder. Growth, population, industrialism, commercialism, digitalization - it was all one ongoing process broken down into distinct little machine parts, all serving one purpose.

And the gods - whatever gods may be out there - saw this. They saw this on a scale larger than any human would be able to comprehend, which might be why they decided to intervene with man's process. Call it what you may - intervention, interruption, change - the term doesn't matter, the consequences do.

It swept over the globe in many forms: disease, death, terraformation, plant growth, and environmental change in ways unimaginable and unexpected. Many thought it to be the Rapture, many called it a divine intervention, but most agreed to name it the Great Change.

It brought upon the world great beasts, many monsters, and vile demons. Humans thought themselves to be forsaken by God or gods, but it was the exact opposite. The Great Change was the gods' doing, but not in the way any person would have expected. It was also a great mercy.

And as expected, the Great Change brought mankind to its knees and caused societal collapse. It began as suddenly as a bird going into flight, and ancient demigods had been awakened to continue the same war they all had been fighting for an eternity. All had one thing in mind, one thing that would be their desire, and it was the very thing that drove the war... all but one.