Hanni - Valentinaversary

a/n: valentine + anniversary = valentinaversary trademarked and copyright! i also apologize if this isn't that great. lot's of weird time skips and stuff

word count: 1,633

college hanni x gender neutral reader

fluff

-

"fuck!"

a loud groan escapes your mouth as you drop your pencil onto the table, the lead tip landing and drawing a long streak across your notes.

"what's wrong?" a voice calls out behind you, "are you okay?"

you sigh, "no. math sucks."

you hear a short ruffling of bed sheets, a small groan, and a few soft steps on the floor leading to a pair of hands on your shoulders. a tight grip is felt as you wince aloud, a small giggle escaping from behind you. "you're too tense."

she leans over your messy notes as she tucks a few stray strands of her hair behind her ear, something that makes your heart skip a beat. "i understand none of this." she says promptly.

"great hanni. thanks." seriously. what is her problem? why did she come over here besides just to make your heart beat that much faster?

she turns her head and she smiles at you cheekily before running back to her bed and under the covers, a tiny portion of her head peeking out. "good luck!"

you shook your head and chuckled to yourself as you went back to studying. why were you even in love with this girl?

-

hanni pham. a girl you hadn't quite expected to be your roommate let alone be the object of your affections. it was ironic. you were one of the top students at your university and she... was practically the bottom of the barrel in terms of academics, only keeping her grades above the threshold to not get kicked out of drama club.

and your first ever encounter with her wasn't... expected to say the least. you moved away from your parents and your home very unexpectedly. it was a bold choice for you as you always stuck by your family's side and listened to the lesson hammered into your mind.

surround yourself with success.

everyone saw your parents and siblings as the ultimate success story and you're obviously constantly compared to the prestige that your family was. so much so that it became intoxicating. it was incredibly hard for you to break free from your family's grasp on you and to finally make your own choices.

but once you did, it felt exhilarating and yet at the same time it was terrifying. navigating the walks of life yourself felt like such a grueling task and when you saw the mess that lay before you as you stepped into your dorm for the first time, you thought you've made a grave mistake.

you held your feelings close to your heart as you stared at the random posters hung up on the wall of the most mysterious things. a mix of boy bands and some random plays and movies.

and then there sat a girl with her jet black hair and a pair of round glasses on a big green beanbag chair. she donned a sleek denim jacket on as she turned around to the sound of the door opening.

then she smiled. "hi! i'm hanni!"

-

it wasn't one specific event that caused you to fall for hanni or was it something she did. it was just who she was that drawn you towards her. she was everything your family told you to stay away from. in their eyes, she'd probably be the definition of failure but in yours, she was amazing. a breath of fresh air.