The Strays: The Artful Dodger

A/N: Testing out a new idea I had inspired by my rescue dog, Dodger! I don't know if I'll stick with this idea, but it might end up becoming a Webtoon comic if I do.
For those of you wondering, unless you know me and my new child, Dodger is an Australian shepherd/cattle dog mix. He was returned, probably twice to the shelter, the last time being twenty minutes before I adopted him. He's a sweetheart, and I couldn't ask for a better dog.

Dodger. That was what the tag hanging from his collar said.

Dodger didn't quite understand what the name meant, but he didn't really care. Although the collar was a constant reminder of what his family did to him, how they left him in the middle of nowhere to fend for himself, but the name stuck.

His collar was safely hidden under the bandanna around his neck, and no one in the gang brought it up. If they all have or had owners, no one brought them up.

Dodger trotted down the sidewalk, his tail bouncing up and down with each step he took as his nails clicked lightly against the concrete street. He knew this neighborhood well, and he could navigate it like it was no one's business.

It was an hard route to figure out, even for a dog as young as he was, but he was smart, and he knew the best places to go to avoid people, and where to find the best food from the finest restaurant dumpsters.

Dodger pricked his ears, looking up as storm clouds overhead grew darker as the sun started to go down, the oncoming rain slowly closing in. He knew stopping in the middle of the street was bad for fear he might trip one of the humans bustling to get home or, god forbid, let a kid spot him, but it was habit to stop and look around.

Weaving around the legs of people and expertly jumping onto parked cars to avoid kids pointing to their parents about "the cute doggy" they saw. Some adults would even whistle to him to try and get him to come over to them, but he was smarter than that.

He knew what humans were like, and he wasn't going back to the shelter for a third time.