Day 10: Rainbow Love

Prompt: Write a love story that has at least one LGBTQ+ character or an LGBTQ+ theme.
Max. Wordcount: 500 words

I don't think I'll ever find that kind of love. The kind that keeps people up at night. The kind that is supposed to make someone's brain fly right out a window.

But maybe. Just maybe, my best friend can.

"You should ask this person out," I say, passing Jill a coffee.

"I can't," she says, sighing. "I don't think this person feels the same about me."

"So what?" I huff and cross my arms over my chest. "Your feelings would be out in the open. If the person reciprocates then great. If they don't, it's not the end of the world. You can still be friends."

Instead of spouting a predictable snarky response, she's silent. Staring at me, her brown eyes tell me everything I need to know. Oh, crap. Did I know she was homosexual? Yeah, duh. Did I know she looked at me that way? Um, well...

"I like you," is all she says, but there's a spark in her eyes that screams something else. Desire. She wants me. She likes me. Oh, crap.

She knows I'm not a lesbian. She knows I'm not bi. She is very aware that I'm ace.

The only thing that separates romantic and platonic relationships is attraction.

She wants to break that barrier.

Why do I have to be the lovely lady she's been talking about? I'm going to be a disappointment.

As the words roll off my tongue, I feel my head whirl in panic. Please, for the love of sanity, don't take this harshly. "I love you as a friend, Jill."