𝐱. the fire made a home in me

❝I love you to the point of ruin

I love you until my lungs are filled with ash❞

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

105 AC

King Viserys i of House Targaryen had spent the past two years of his reign in an unsteady sort of peace. After the tumultuous and violent start to what he hoped would be a peaceful time as King. He had quickly appointed Otto Hightower as his hand and Aemma and himself had set to work on providing themselves an heir.

For his brother and heir, Daemon Targaryen, had disappeared off of the face of the Earth.

And taken their cousin with him, Viserys had always thought through out the years as after the letter he had sent to Driftmark at the behest of Otto Hightower who hoped to join the realms desire and himself in marriage, Vissera Targaryen had disappeared off of the face of the earth.

Viserys was sure at first that this was merely a tantrum on her part, Vissera may have always been a wild woman and yet she was dutiful as well. He was sure she would return, albeit with some bitterness but she would still return. And after news reached Kings Landing of the Lady Rhea Rhoyce's untimely death after falling from her old mare, he was sure his brother would return for the funeral. He could not be that cruel. And yet as the years wore on without even a trace of his brother and cousin, Viserys was beginning to believe he may never see them again.

Daemon did however, still continue his position given to him at the Kings coronation as Commander of the City Watch by only letters. He somehow retained the unending loyalty of his guardsman, something Viserys knew he could never truly earn. It was a truly impressive feat as he had never thought his brother truly had such a command of the written word and yet here they were.

Over the years, Rhaenyra had grown into a lovely young princess. 'The Realms Delight' as she was nicknamed by the small folk. However as Viserys observed his daughter grow, he could not deny the similarities to his cousin and brother. The blood of the dragon beat fast through her veins, just as it it had in Vissera and Daemon's. Viserys was certain he would never know true peace when it came to his family.

The crown was hosting a grand tourney to celebrate the boy that the King was sure was laying within his wife's belly. Finally Viserys would have a true heir. Secretly, he hoped to himself that his missing family may return from wherever they had hidden themselves. Little did he know how he may come to regret that very wish.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

"...So I said to him, I believe you might be looking up the wrong end." Viserys said, feeling the laughter of his small council echo off of the walls as he finished the joke. All but Lord Corlys Velaryon.

"My Lords." The sea snake said impatiently, tapping his finger against the wooden table before standing and rolling out a painted map. "The growing alliance among the Free Cities has taken to styling itself 'the Triarchy.' They have massed on Bloodstone and are presently ridding the Stepstones of its pirate infestation."

"Well, that sounds suspiciously like good news, Lord Corlys." Viserys said, ever the optimistic King as he fiddled with his fingers much to Corlys' irritation.

"A man called Craghas Drahar has styled himself the prince-admiral of this Triarchy. They call him 'the Crabfeeder.'" Corlys continued, ignoring the clatter of footsteps as the Princess Rhaenyra rushed through the doors. "This is due to his inventive methods of punishing his enemies."

"And are we meant to weep for dead pirates?" The King asked, eyes flicking to his daughter much to Corlys' annoyance. The King seemed to care far more for the little joys than the overall picture. "Rhaenyra, you're late. A Kings cupbearer must not be late. Leaves people wanting for cups."