Chapter Nine

The next few days were spent much like Aelora's final days with her family on Dragonstone.

She spent most of her mornings with Helaena and her children. It was one of her few moments of joy in a day, being with them. Occasionally, Alicent would request her presence, and the two would walk together. Alicent spoke often of Rhaenyra, which regrettably softened Aelora's resolve. Despite the anger Aelora harbored for the Greens, she could not help but pity her Mother's childhood friend. It became clear to her that Alicent was not the orchestrator of her fate. She was simply doing what she thought was right.

Somehow, the blame landed on Otto, at least in Aelora's mind. It was he who she held a grudge for.

What parts of the day Aelora did not spend with Alicent or Helaena and the children, she spent with Aegon, and the council.

It was odd, joining him for Small Council meetings.

Of course, she was not allowed to listen in on matters of strategy or battle that concerned her Mother and the Blacks. But the rest, she was allowed to hear. She did not speak much during meetings. She didn't care enough to help with the problems. It was the very people on the council who were the reason the throne had been usurped. She would not make the lives of traitors any easier.

But Aegon, she felt pity for.

He did not want the throne, nor did he want to rule. Now, he was King of the Seven Kingdoms. The attention and gratitude from the people was all that he considered an improvement in his life.

The rest, he was clearly struggling with.

His new position meant he was inclined to stay in the Keep, or at least on the outskirts of it. His life, Aelora begrudgingly accepted, was important. Keeping him occupied and out of trouble was part of her job. To account for this, Aelora spent many evenings on his heels. He quickly grew tired of this, but understood that it was in his best interest to have her around. He wouldn't ever admit it out loud, but she was becoming one of the least annoying people in his service. She knew when she was needed, and she knew when to be quiet.

It was a rare quality.

Unlike Aegon, Aemond made himself scarce.

Occasionally, either with Aegon or one of the girls, she'd pass him in the halls. He seemed to be avoiding her, and she preferred it that way. She still couldn't look at him without being filled with an uncontrollable rage.

She didn't know how she was going to marry him.

It was best not to think about it. Better to confront it when it comes, rather than devote any more time to worrying about it.

Fynn still followed Aemond around.

Aelora often chased Fynn around to bring him in at night, only to find Fynn outside Aemond's door, or wandering near the library where Aemond frequently spent his time. Sometimes, she'd catch a glimpse of him, and duck behind a column. He'd bend down and scratch behind Fynn's ears, before continuing on his way.

Aemond was beginning to look worse.

Still handsome, nonetheless. Nothing could ever change that, as much as it annoyed Aelora. But he was clearly struggling. With what, she didn't know. She couldn't bring herself to ask him about it. Instead, she watched, and she listened.

From what she could decipher from whispers in the halls, he had been missing training. When she'd pass him in the halls, his hair was haphazardly tied up, his clothes wrinkled.

He had dark circles under his eyes that seemed to grow each day.

His thin but toned physique was beginning to weaken. Aelora figured he was skipping meals, just to avoid seeing her. She had half a mind to let him starve, hoping Aegon would allow her to return home upon his death.