Bitter Sweet

It was instant the second he stepped on stage. She had seen countless photos and videos of him, but somehow, seeing him in person was different. With his hair slicked back and his classic white shirt and black tie, he glowed. Then and there, she was glad she has decided to stand in front of this side of the stage. It was like fate.

Watching him throughout the night only made her fall deeper in love with him. His smile lit up the room as he looked out into the crowd of fans, read their signs and watched them sing along. The fans next to her were particularly loud and pushy. Their high-pitched screams made her wince as their phones and lightsticks blocked her view. It only made them scream more when he sent a smile their way. 

While she mostly found them annoying, a part of her wished she could be like them. Visible. Or perhaps she was just jealous that they had experienced the feeling of catching the musician's attention. A few times she felt as though he had looked her way, but realistically she knew it was unlikely, as hidden as she was in the crowd, half blocked by a tall fan a row or two in front of her.

Instead, she focused on why she was there, to enjoy the music. As always it took her a while to settle, to feel comfortable in a new environment, especially when squashed in a crowd. However, when they played her favourite song from their new album, she sang along to every word as loudly as she could. Admittedly this wasn't very loud, but in a way that reassured her that she could sing out. She was very conscious of those around her. Not wanting to block anyone's view or sing in their ear, regardless of whether they gave her the same courtesy.

Talented was the word that came to mind as she watched him switch between different guitars, playing the keyboard and singing. As someone who had a background in music, but could only do one of those things - if singing casually counted - it amazed her how easy he made it look. For one song she found herself focusing on his hands as he played the guitar. She had been trying to learn herself but found anything more than the basics tricky. It made her wonder if she would ever get to the point where she could play a song and sing along.

The concert was over far too soon, but she held on to the fact that it wasn't the end of the night. Not only had she managed to get a ticket last minute, as the show had been sold out as soon as the tickets went on sale, but she had gotten a VIP ticket. A question and answer session, as well as a group photo, was yet to come that evening and getting to see them - to see him - again, even if only for a little while, kept her spirits up.