FLAME RED PT. I

Tell me what you think!!

Flame Red

"The woman who assaulted you is holding her peace quite stubbornly. We're running her prints and pulling her records. Should have the info by lunch. We can hold her for assaulting an officer, but as soon as she asks for a lawyer, she'll be out with a fine." Director Minelli folded his hands on his desk in front of him. "To be totally honest with you, Masters, based on everyone we've interviewed in relation to this case previously, I don't have much hope that we'll learn anything from her."

Sitting next to Cho, Ronnie gave a short nod that didn't at all express her irritation at the CBI's lack of progress. Despite that, she expected no different. "We won't know anything for sure until she shows her own face."

Minelli looked confused. He glanced at Cho, who clarified for him. "Carla doesn't leave loose ends. It's likely that this woman doesn't even know anything."

Throwing his hands up in disbelief, the disgruntled station chief leaned back in his chair. "How could she break into the CBI and assault an officer of the law without having any prior involvement with the woman?"

"Carla Masters is very persuasive." Ronnie let the words hang flat, hands clenched on her thighs. "She found incentive or leverage."

Minelli shook his head. "I can't believe the AG let this case go cold. Well, that's all I have for you right now. I'll let you know what we find out about your assailant."

Cho and Ronnie stood, understanding the implicit dismissal. They thanked the considerate senior officer and moved toward the door.

"Agent Cho." Minelli held out a folder. "Please pass this on to Lisbon. Your team has some work to do."

THE MENTALIST

"Hey. We're up. Suspected arson murder on a farm in Marquesa." Cho entered the bullpen, mouth-first, holding Minelli's folder out to Lisbon.

She snatched it up almost desperately, nearly too fast for Ronnie to notice that Jane had her looking completely flustered, yearning for escape.

Ronnie shared a glance with Van Pelt, who smirked glowingly at what must have been a very telling exchange.

Jane had been making Lisbon blush quite a lot lately.

Cho, as usual, missed it entirely. "The county DA's asking if we'll check it out." He glanced at Jane, only to find him grinning boyishly, and promptly ignored him.

Lisbon flipped through the folder, cheeks heating.

Rigsby elbowed Ronnie excitedly. He masked a laugh in a cough and pointed to the two. "They're flirting telepathically."

"Let's go." Lisbon ordered, abruptly exiting the bullpen with a puppy-like Jane close behind.

Ronnie walked out with Cho, who looked completely baffled by Rigsby and Van Pelt's tittering.

THE MENTALIST

Cho's conservative driving somehow put them at the scene in Marquesa five minutes before the CBI van.

The field where the barn had once stood lay before them serene and peaceful, disturbed only by the lingering cloud of smoke and the rummaging around of the on-scene fire crew.

Cho beheld the burnt carcass of the vehicle with his iconic frown, arms crossed tightly over his chest.

Ronnie shuffled around behind him, careful not to disturb any of the debris left in the dirt.

In the distance, the rest of the team approached through the field, led by the police chief who had directed Cho in.

"My mom snuffed someone like this once." Ronnie murmured. "It was bad."