Chapter One - The Questioning.

"Do you deny these claims?"

"Yes."

"And you understand that if you are found guilty, you will face life in prison?"

"Yes."

"Excuse me one second, miss."

A black-haired man walks out of a small, dark room. He stands beside another man, slightly shorter than he, also with black hair.
"She's a tough one. She shows no signs of guilt, though. No signs of lying either. I'm leaning towards innocent, surprisingly. I think there's probably another culprit out there. Like, what about that Rotatsu girl? We probably won't even need a trial or anything. Not like we could get one, actually... Caleb, are you sure we've got the right girl? I just... hate this case! My sister was killed!"
"I like my chances. However, I can't be sure. And don't worry, I know how close you were with Ally. We'll find her killer; I just can't be sure it's this girl. Gosh, this is gonna sound bad, but don't you think the killings seem a little... too brutal to be from a girl? I mean, maybe if she was a bit older, but c'mon, this girl is nineteen! She's barely an adult!" Caleb says.

"What do you mean by that?" the other man responds, raising an eyebrow.
"Oh, come on, Benton! You know I didn't mean it like that! And about your other suspect idea, Ms. Rotatsu's body was found a little while ago." Caleb folds his arms and looks at the man, Benton, with a sincere look on his face. Benton chuckled, embarrassed.
"Right. My apologies. There's got to be another person connected to this case, though! I mean, did you hear about the girl who tried to get into the crime scenes?" he continued, trying to think of a new point to suggest, "I'm just trying to think of other ways. I mean, innocent until proven guilty, right?"
"I prefer guilty until proven innocent," Caleb responded, walking into the interrogation room that his partner was just in. The girl was still sat there, still, and emotionless. "Hello, miss. I'd like to ask you a few questions, too, is that okay?"

"If I were to say no, what would happen?" the girl said calmly. Caleb raised an eyebrow.

"Well, you don't really get a choice-"

"Then why ask?"

"Please," Caleb sighs, "Just let me do my job. Right, where were you when these murders occurred?"

"You know I've already answered that. And my answer still has not changed."

Caleb would cross his arms and glare at the girl.
"Right. Yes, that is true," he said, "Okay, then. What was your connection to Nozomi Rotatsu?"
The girl went silent. She looked like she wanted to say something and began to tear up. "Miss? Is everything okay?" Caleb asked, worried. The girl nodded and wiped her eyes.
"Yes. Everything is fine. About your question, I was a friend of Nozomi's. I was hoping that she would be found every day since the first report came out. I... miss her. I'm sorry if you are not allowed to speak of this information but have there been any updates?" the girl asked, occasionally sniffling in between her words. Caleb's expression remained cold, but he wanted to help her.
"We found her body."
The girl began to cry, her head resting in her soft hands. The tears were as pure as a murky lake.
"No... that's not true..." she wept, her crocodile tears dropping into her palms, "I'm sorry, Mr Police Officer, but... I have a suggestion for your case, should you want to hear it."
Caleb raised an eyebrow, "Is that so?" he asked. In response, the girl nodded.
"What if the person pretending to be me... killed themself? From what I've overheard about this case, it would make sense, as opposed to two different murderers. I think it would be unlikely that two serial killers exist in the same small town, at the same time, doing the same thing. Maybe the killer for the first instance was the same as the second?" this girl suggested. Caleb heard her out and thought for a moment, not sure how trustworthy this girl seemed. He left the room for a little while, and then came back in.

"You're free to go."

The girl, still unphased, silently got up and nodded to Caleb on her way out. Benton scanned the girl up and down before she left.
"We can always call her back in," he told Caleb, who also nodded. Around twenty-five minutes later, the girl was back in her house. She checked her phone. 23:00. Sighing, she placed it on her messy kitchen countertop and rested her hands along with it. She looked down at the floor, unsure of what to do. She checked her cupboards: out-of-date cereal, a few bread rolls, a couple of jars of sauce, empty wrappers, etc. She pulled a bread roll out and started tearing it apart with her teeth, before leaving her kitchen and running up her stairs. She dropped many crumbs on her white shirt and blue jeans on her way up.

What she forgot to put away was the blood-covered knife that lay resting on her kitchen counter.