The Vanishing Glass

You woke at the shrill voice of your aunt witch made the fist noise of the day.

"Up ! Get up ! Now !"

Your brother and you woke with a start. Your aunt rapped on the door again.

"Up !" she screeched. You heard her walking towards the kitchen and then the sound of the frying pan being put on the cooker. Harry rolled on to his back wanting to go back to sleep but knowing he was going to get up and face his horrible family, even if he didn't want to call them that. You cuddled a bit with Harry and tried to remember the dream you had been having. It had been a good one. There had been a flying motorbike in it. You had the funny feeling you'd had this dream before. 

"What are you thinking?" asked Harry. You were very happy to have Harry in your life, it was the only thing you had and you loved him dearly. Your uncle, aunt and cousin weren't nice with you. But you knew that you citation was better than Harry's, aunt Petunia was nicer (if we can say that) with you. You don't remember it because you were too little but she breastfeeded you because you still needed milk when you 'appeared' with Harry. So she had some kind of connection with you. She also payed you activities, you were in a chorus, you did gym and you danced.

"I was trying to remember a dream but I forgot it (not a lie)." You said sleepily while getting up.

Your aunt was back outside the door.

"Are you up yet ?" She demanded.

"Nearly." Said Harry.

"Well, get a move on, I want you both to look after the breakfast. And don't you let it burn, I want everything perfect on Duddy's birthday."

You dressed up and went down the hall into the kitchen. The table was almost hidden beneath all Dudley's birthday present. It looked as thought Dudley had got the new computer he wanted, and the second television and the racing bike. Exactly why Dudley wanted a racing bike was a mystery, as Dudley hated exercise — unless of course it involved punching somebody. Dudley's favorite punch-bag was Harry, but he couldn't often catch him. Harry didn't look it, but he was very fast. He never 'punched' you properly speaking, he did trip you but never punched you. He did bully you with his friends but rarely got physical. It happened once and bad things happened to them all day, you would have suspected Harry but he was at your side all day.

You both were small and skinny (if you are not, it's just that you don't live in a cupboard and you are always skinny compared to Dudley) for your age. You looked even smaller and skinnier than you really were because all you had to wear was Dudley's old clothes, you just had one dress that aunt Petunia each year, you couldn't wear it often (and you didn't really have the same fashion sense then aunt Petunia).

Uncle Vernon entered the kitchen as Harry was turning over the bacon.

"Comb your hair!" he barked, by was of morning greeting.

You were frying eggs by the time Dudley arrived in the kitchen with his mother. You put the plates of egg and the bacon on on the table, witch was difficult as there wasn't much room.

"Thirty-six," he said, looking up at his mother and father. "That's two less than last year."

"Darling, you haven't counted Auntie Marge's present, see, it's under this big one from Mummy and Daddy."

"All right, thirty-seven then," said Dudley going red in the face.

Aunt Petunia obviously scented danger, because she said quickly, "And we'll buy you another two presents while we're out today."

At that moment the telephone rang and Aunt Petunia went to answer it while Harry, Uncle Vernon and you watched Dudley unwrap the racing bike, a cine-camera, a remote control aéroplane, sixteen new computer games and a video recorder. He was ripping the paper off a gold wristwatch when Aunt Petunia came back from the telephone, looking both angry and worried.