chapter 2

ii. invitation

"What was her name, Mav?"

I barely heard a girl's voice beside me as I started to come back into consciousness. Mav grumbled and answered a second after.

"Bellona Everblood. Know her?" He asked, sounding doubtful.

She scoffed.

"No. She obviously didn't go to our school, or lived in the same area for that fact.. how did she even get into the academy?" She muttered, and I felt her stare impending down on me.

My eyes started to slowly open.

"She could be one of the council's rescue cases. Although, she does look like she has some brains in her..."

I heard shushing as I opened my eyes, Stelle making ridiculous hand motions at Maverick. Stelle stared at him with an irritated expression. She turned away from him and noticed my opened eyes. I saw the small raise of her eyebrows, then she reverted to a small smile.

"Bellona, is it?"

My eye twitched, feeling a bit weird since she now knew my name. They were talking about me as well. I could faintly remember their voices, having overheard a bit of their conversation before they noticed me.

"Mhm." I mumbled, turning away to look at the window.

Outside our window, the landscape blurred as we traveled on the train tracks. Meadows and fields blended together and all looked the same. Moonlight was the only thing illuminating the ground although, giving the landscape a gloomy glow below. I could see villages and towns in the distance, and I had to wonder if we would pass any major cities.
Barely a full moon.

The thought made me wonder about the werewolves. It was rare to see a werewolf where I lived. They mainly just lived inside their territories.

"Almost there, around 4.. 5 minutes." Maverick commented, following my gaze onto the scenery as he spoke.

Stelle's mouth inched up into what looked like a smile. At least I think so. She still looked half-asleep and still very irritated, as was I.

"How," Stelle yawned, "how long was the ride.. here?" Her voice was soft and a bit hoarse as she spoke.

Maverick's eyebrows quickly raised up, a faint hint of amusement in his eyes as he noticed Stelle's voice. Stelle noticed this and quickly looked away, clearing her throat.