9.

Two years ago

Two years ago. . .

"Water?"

With a start Shradha realised he was addressing her. She glanced down at the outstretched bottle and felt a surge of hope. If he was offering her sustenance then surely he doesn't want to kill her.... yet. She took it without thanks, defying him as much as she dared with her lack of manners, and she could feel the heat of his scrutiny again as she twisted the cap and brought the bottle to her lips.

The water was cool and refreshing. It tasted faintly metallic, though, as if soured by his nearness. She replaced the cap and handed it back, their fingers briefly touching as she did. She flinched immediately as shockwaves zip up and down her spine. No way was that normal.

He takes it back and tosses it beside the car seat. "Are you scared of me?"

She had no right answer to his question. The man who sat side to her in the car was the same man who just killed her attacker right in front of her. The man who saved her from being raped. She did not know if she should feel protected or scared. All she knew was that he was her saviour.

"I asked you a question, Shradha Advani."

She wondered how he knew her name. But she also hated the way he said her name. There was something sinister, something so . . .. sexual about it.

"Who are you?" She whispered, her voice barely audible inside the car,above the scream of engines.

No answer.

"Where are you taking me?" She glanced at the driver of the car, who drove silently never paying attention to what was happening in the backseat.

"The cameras are wiped Aditya." The man in the driving seat spoke. He was old, old enough to be her father. Suddenly the thought of her father has her heart aching in pain. About an hour ago, she had been betrayed by her family. Given away to the ruthless man named Vivek Kapoor, to be used as he pleased. Shradha will never forget how her father gave her away like that. As if she was just a pawn in his game.

Aditya . . that was his name. All of a sudden realisation struck her. The man beside her was Aditya Kapoor. The son of the man who her father just gave her away to.
That meant. . .

He had killed his own father?

Panic flooded her. Her stomach dropped.

"Please Mr.Kapoor!" She grabbed his forearm to establish some sort of connection in the vain hope that it might aid her release from the nightmare that was happening in front of her.

Instead, his reflexes were lightning-quick and vicious. He twisted away from her, grabbing her outstretched hand and all of a sudden she was pinned to the seat by her throat. She cried out in pain and terror.

His strength and speed were inconceivable. Her instincts were right. This man was going to kill her.

She could feel the heat of his fingers on her skin - kneading, squeezing, his face inches from her own.

Shradha stared into his dark eyes, up so close that she could feel his breath against her skin. Up close, he was devastating. But all she could see were those eyes. So hostile, so unflinching and so . . .. seductive.

She closed her eyes shaking away whatever sinister thoughts she was having. How can she lust after a man who was going to kill her?

Suddenly his grip on her neck loosened. "Don't touch me again or you'll regret it."

He released her and slid across the back seat to give her a little room to recover. Shradha glanced down at her hands. They were trembling again. Tears start to trickle down her cheeks. Everything felt so hopeless and out of control. She could feel him watching her constantly.

"Why were you with my father?" He pressed through the silence of the car.

"My father had a deal with your's. I was the price." Her voice quivered and she wondered how she managed to finish that sentence without breaking down and crying in front of him. "Please let me go."

He considered her coldly for a moment. "Never. You're here because I take what I want. That deal your father struck with mine? That was not the real one. The real one was made between our grandfathers. And in that you are to be my wife."

She had grown up hearing this story. That she was to be the wife of the first born Kapoor. She thought that it was bullshit then and was just a bedtime story but right now, her head started to spin. Too much. It was all too much.

"Is that why you killed him? Your father?"

"That and many reasons. I don't share what's mine." This time he gaze bore into her soul. She gulped down at the intensity of his look.

"Threats and attacks like that will never stop. As long as you carry the Advani name with you. Your father has managed to piss off too many people and they will take their revenge using you. That's the price of being the daughter of Advani."

He didn't stop at that.

"Leave the name behind and I'll protect you. Marry me and no one will get close to you before having to go through me. The price of being an Advani will ultimately be death."

As he finished, all Shradha could do was let out a gasp. Shock, terror and a feeling of comfort enveloped her all at once.

"And what's the price of being your wife?"

With a smirk, he pronounced, "Pleasure and protection."

"