Ⅰ - prologue

i nibbled at the end of my wooden pencil, my eyes squinting while trying to concentrate on my paper that had "get to know you!" printed in bold letters at the top middle. my leg bouncing ever so slightly, removing the eraser from my teeth and tapping it on my cheek.

     i groaned quietly, placing my pencil on the desk next to the paper, the only thing in my handwriting was my name in the top left corner. it laid there, yearning for me to write something that wouldn't humiliate me. i straighten up my back, letting it hit the back of my chair before glancing around the room for a moment.

     everyone's eyes were glued onto their papers, their pencils moving quite quickly. this must be pretty easy for them, easy free points to kickoff this new year. the whole classroom was silent, i could hear the pencils scratching against the paper, the tapping of someone's fingers on the desk, the chewing of gum in probably most of these people's mouths, and the teacher typing on her computer.

     although everyone was writing away, i was the only one that couldn't do this assignment. i hate the stupid "get to know you" papers on the first week of school. i don't know how to describe myself. i'm normally pretty smart, how could i not be able to do something so simple? i've been doing this for years and years, even in elementary.

i slowly start to zone out, staring at my shoe which lightly tapped the hard tile. up and down, up and down, up and down. all the small noises i once heard disappeared, everything fell completely silent. it was as if the whole world paused.

"hellllooooo?" a voice spoke, seemingly concerned yet pretty loud, loud enough to snap me out of my head. i heard the voice nearby. i slowly picked my head up, moving my gaze to the desk in front of me where a girl with two long brown pigtails, who seemed very friendly, sat, facing me. pretty much her whole body was turned to me, her arm rested on the back of her chair.

"you're not dead!" the female beamed, saying that pretty loudly. "though, it would be a bit silly if you were." she seemed very outgoing and energetic already and i didn't even know her name.

i peered at her, registering her comment, she was joking right? my eyes remained on her, but avoiding eye contact at all costs. looking at someone in the eyes was like they were piercing through me and looking deep into my soul.

"do you know how to answer this question?" she lifted up her paper, holding it up to the side of her head with one hand. she brought her pencil up to the paper using her free hand, pointing at one of the questions.

i moved my gaze to the paper in the girl's hand, squinting at the question which read, "do you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert?" i blinked a few times, stunned by her stupidity, while still staring at the paper. i parted my lips, trying to get something out of my mouth.

the girl waited for a response from me, she seemed pretty impatient, but tried to contain herself so she wasn't seen as rude.

"um, it basically means like are you more outgoing or like more reversed?" i responded quietly, stumbling on my words a little. i cursed to myself in my head from how i say like way too much.

"everyone says i'm pretty loud." the girl giggled, "and weird!" her grin widened. my lips tugged into a small grin, she didn't seem offended that people call her weird, she seemed to enjoy it.

i brought my finger up to her paper, pointing at the word extrovert in which she responded with another smile while setting down her paper back on his desk. "thank yoouuuu!!!" she dragged her "you" out for a while before planting a very wide smile on her face.

i nodded in response to her, forcing my lips to curve upwards once again.

i watched as she slowly started to turn back to face the front of the room, but she stopped midway before coming back to face me, "what's your name? do you have any friends already? oh my god, can we be friends!" her huge grin came back to her face, "also... i'm not that stupid.. i just wanted to get your attention, i want a friend."

i blinked a couple times, not knowing what question to answer first. this girl talks a lot. after a few seconds, i nodded my head, "my name's y/n." i replied silently, deciding to just start with my name. "how about you?"

"hu tao!" the pigtailed girl said, smiling even wider now, i didn't know someone could smile that big. "thank the ghosts at the graveyard that i made a friend on the first day." she sighed, my eyes widening at how she randomly brought up ghosts.

i nervously chucked at her comment, ignoring the fact that i didn't even accept nor deny her friendship offer. she seemed to be a pretty nice girl, so i guess i'll just go with it. i didn't want to sit alone in classes and lunch anyway.

i watched as hu tao spun herself back around to finish her paper, reminding me that i need to start answering questions. that small interaction made me feel a little better, even though i felt a tad bit awkward.

AUTHOR NOTE

short prologue on how you met your first best friend (don't worry, you've got more now) ! i love hu tao!