Chapter 14 (Edge): It's Not Your Place

After talking with Belle after the game, I'd agreed to give her time. The weeks dragged for me; the only high point being when I saw her and the children at West's practices and games. Yesterday after practice, he'd told me that their lawnmower was broken. Why had he told me -- very pointedly -- that seemingly random fact?

"How's it going, West?"

Those thin little shoulders moved up and down. "Our lawnmower's broken."

This wise little boy was testing me, I realized. He knew I'd hurt his mother, but he also knew I was sorry. So he'd decided to see if I could become worthy of his mother. It was the only reason I could think of that he'd have told me something like that.

Early the next morning, before I had to head in to work, I'd taken my lawnmower over to Belle's house and mowed the yard. About halfway through, Belle came running out, her surprise at seeing me evident, asking me what I was doing.

"Helping you decide?"

She covered he mouth with her hand, something I knew she did when she was trying not to let the children see her smile at whatever they'd said that struck her as funny.

"Edge, you didn't need to do this. And how did you even know?"

I couldn't stop smiling at this woman. Just being around her for any amount of time was a pleasure after being cut out of her life.

"A little bird told me, Belle. I hate that I made it so you couldn't ask me."

Belle made a little huffing sound. "Piper talks too much."

"It wasn't Piper," I told her but didn't give up my source.

"Well, I don't like feeling obligated to you."

"No obligation," I assured her. "I'm happy to help. But I do need to finish before I head to base, much as I'd love to keep talking with you. You look good, Belle."

"I just rolled out of bed, Edge, and I look it."

I shook my head. "Not to me you don't. See you around."

Then I went back to mowing the grass and I couldn't stop smiling, even during a long, frustrating day at work. That evening, after dinner, I was knocking on Belle's door again, hoping she wouldn't tell me to get lost or slam it in my face.

"Hi, again," I said when she answered the door, West on one side of her. "If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your lawnmower, see if I can fix it, get it running for you again." 

"Edge, you really don't have to do this." Her protest was automatic, but it wasn't a no.

"I want to help, Belle." I looked down at the little boy standing beside her, eyes watchful. "Maybe West would like to help? I could use the extra hands."

West straightened up at the thought. "Can I, Mom? Then if it breaks again, I could fix it for you."

She held a silent, internal debate, then finally nodded her head. "Sure. I'll go open the garage for you."

West scampered beside me as we walked to the garage and saw the door opening. Belle showed me the lawnmower, described what was wrong and then watched us for a few minutes before going back into the house.

West was a good helper, and he peppered me with questions about everything I did.

What are you doing? 

What's that part called?

What does this thing do?

How does an engine work?