[1 - Cold Truth]

Future generations would gaze upon a cracked statue that stood in the middle of a lively and bright village town, unaware of its meaning. Children will run and play around it as if it was just another rock, but in a different shape than its original form. Their obliviousness would show their boredom and uninterest in the history of the land and dirt that they had been kicking up. They would never learn the reason behind the creation of this stone statue, but they stayed blissfully unaware that this statue held the very reason why they were alive.

This statue showed a group of five humanoids etched into stone. There was a kenku, a spirit, a satyr, a demon, and a human. Their poses showed a confidence that others seemed to not understand with the years that followed its creation. 

Sculptures are somewhat hard to make, especially well. The emotion that seemed to be radiating off of this work of art was strong, but it did not capture what those five were feeling as this was created. 

They felt cold. 

"Louisa! Tough night, huh?" A familiar voice called, making the named individual raise their head. 

After getting a faint mumble as a response, the voice doubled down, "Just because the picking is today doesn't mean you can't pick these apples! Get up and help or mom'll notice you're slacking off and yell at me!" 

Louisa rolled her eyes and got up, yawning while stretching her legs. 

"I didn't get any sleep last night..." She turned to her brother, "You expect me to be calm and relaxed when I could be picked and taken away from you guys for- I don't know- like, ever?!" Her hands went to her hips as she sent a glare towards her sibling.

He waved his right hand as he picked an apple with the other, "Oh, whatever! Stop worrying. It's not like you'll actually get picked. There's like fifty people in this town, you really think they'll pick the farm girl who lives on the outside of town with her brother and mom?" He snickered as he tossed the apple down into his woven basket. 

"Well..." Her arms fell and her hand rubbed her left arm, "I'm not too sure. If there's fifty people and they're choosing five, the chances are slim... but, if you think of the fact that they won't be picking those who are too wounded or disabled, those who are too young or old, and will be picking people who can work as a team yet still be strong by themselves, it really narrows it down." 

She paused, then continued with a simple, "Am I right in thinking like that?" 

He stared at her with questioning eyes. It was true, there wasn't really a "slim" chance of either of them being picked like he said, but he still didn't like thinking of the fact that one of them could be taken away. 

Louisa stared at her brother as he sat on one of the steps of the ladder he was on, seeming to bite his lip in thought. It seemed to be centuries before the next noise was made, but it didn't come from her brother or herself. 

"Lucas! Louisa! Dinner is ready," their mother's voice called, "Finish up your apple picking for the day and come inside!"

"Got it!" Lucas yelled back, then looked back to his sister. They shared a swift nod and grabbed their baskets, beginning to walk to their cottage. 

Little did either of them know, this would be the last time one of them would set foot inside of this house. 

The sun had just touched the horizon as it seemed almost the entire town joined each other in a huddle in front of the governor's building. The different heads were bobbing back and forth, chattering and laughing nervously with friends and loved ones. 

Just as Louisa had made it to the group, she noticed that someone had exited the building and went to a gated podium that held a microphone. Her eyes narrowed to try to make out the figure, which she could barely even see over the heads of the others. 

She tried getting higher by getting up on the tips of her toes but then she heard the person speak through the mic.

"Hello, everyone!" The commanding voice greeted, "Thank you all for making it to our somewhat sudden choosing slot!" 

Louisa quickly realized that the voice was a helper of the governor, specifically her "right-hand woman." Her voice seemed to sound confident and strong, which seemed to make Louisa confused on how she would be ordered around by the governor and not the other way around. 

She shook her head as the woman continued speaking.

"As I'm sure you're aware, we need five eligible people who live in this town to go out on a journey for a stolen... hmm..." The woman quickly paused in thought, letting out a slight hum under her breath, "Well, the details will be talked about later with these lucky five. For now, all anyone needs to know is that someone has something of importance to us and we need it back..." Her wicked eyes stared to the muttering crowd as her mouth shut for a moment. 

Louisa turned her head towards her mother, seeing her eyes stare back into the woman at the podium's own with a sort of anger. While her eyes showed anger, though, Louisa glanced up and noticed her eyebrows showed a sigh of weakness and they curved with a certain distraught angle. Her daughter stared at her, wondering what was racing through her mind. Her mother always seemed clever and brave but right now she seemed to be defenseless from seemingly just words. 

"Mama?" She asked, putting a hand on her mother's shoulder. 

The mother's eyes shot over to her daughter's, "Yes, sweetie?" 

Louisa now noticed the sadness seeping into her own mother's eyes. They stared into her own with an increasing glaze obscuring them. 

Her mind went blank. 

She was going to ask about her mother's emotions but her gaze seemed to stop her daughter's thoughts completely. 

Louisa squeezed her mother's shoulder softly, "I love you." This was the only thing she thought of to say. She didn't know how to help her mother and thought that a later time would be better to talk about it. 

"I love you too, sweetie... I'm so sorry..."