Chapter 9

The townhouse was a surprise when I arrived at the address. For a moment I thought we had the wrong place. The garden was well kept with flowers all the way up to the white wooden door, not a chip of paint to be seen.

The inside was spacious and light all around. There was a note placed on the side table at the door with information on where everything was and who to contact if there were any problems. I put it back down in the tray and began to tour the home. Miss Hardbroom went off to find a room to put her belongings away.

Entering the kitchen the smell of freshly baked goods filled my senses and on top of the kitchen aisle, there was a selection of cakes and bread to choose from.

After exploring for a bit Miss Hardbroom reappeared and told me the room I'd be staying in for the next few days.

"We can have lunch and rest for today and then tomorrow we can go into town." Miss Hardbroom suggested and I agreed to it. The journey here was tiring so not doing anything for the rest of the day sounded like a good idea.

"How about taking lunch outside. There's no need to be in on a day like this." I said and Miss Hardbroom nodded.

"Then come down in an hour once you've settled and unpacked." Miss Hardbroom said.

The clothes that I had were second hand, whether it's what I came to cackles with or a hand out from my aunt.

For the first time I'll get to go into town and shop for my own things. I've been saving money since I took the job as librarian. Besides it's not like I go out much in the first place.

Hanging my things I put away the case on the ground of the wardrobe.

There was still sometime left before I needed to go downstairs so I sat in the bed to relax until that time came.

The knock on the door startled me as my whole body jumped out of it's state. Getting up from the bed I opened the door to Miss Hardbroom standing on the other side.

Looking over at the clock on the bedside I blushed slightly when I realised the time.

"Sorry, I must have fallen asleep." I said.

"It's alright I just came to check you were okay. There's still time before the lunch hour is over." she said.

"Let me freshen up and I'll be with you in a moment." I said.

"I'll take everything out to the garden." Miss Hardbroom said. When she left I closed the door and looked in the mirror. My hair was disheveled. Fixing it and straightening my clothes I went downstairs to join Miss Hardbroom.

The afternoon was quiet, lunch was light with a cold drink to pair with it.

When everything was cleared we stayed outside and talked. More Miss Hardbroom telling stories as I listened.

On the second night we sat in front of the fire. My feet ached from all the excitement with visiting the town and just being free. Free to do whatever I wanted.

Constance served an alcoholc beverage that I can't remember the name off. It was the first time I've tried alcohol and it got some getting used to it.

With the revelation that my magic isn't working we haven't brought it up again. It was awkward when she first asked the question. I knew she would have picked up on it. The observant Constance Hardbroom noticed that I hadn't used magic since banishing my mother. I was glad to not have to talk about that subject in full detail and she was happy with my brief reply. To be honest I'd be okay if it didn't return.

"I could do this all the time." I said.

"Aren't you tired from all the walking?" Constance asked.

"It's worth it." I said, Constance smiled as she watched.

"Yes it was." She said placing the book she was reading to the side. "It's late I think it's time for bed. We leave in the afternoon." she said and I watched her stand.

"Okay." I said but didn't have the energy to move.

"Do you need help?" she asked.

"No, I think I can manage. Let me find the energy." I said.

"You can stay here a little while longer. The fire will go out soon." she said.

"I'll just be a moment. You don't have to wait for me." I said.

"Then I'll see you in the morning." she said and I watched her leave.

Finally it felt like I could breath. The close proximity I had with the teacher was difficult. I felt like some horny teenager ready to pounce.

Her scent filled my senses and there was this calmness to the usual strict and scary teacher.

And seeing this new side of her. The one were she wasn't a teacher made me find her a lot more attractive.

The alcohol had sent my mind buzzing and I knew if I got up then that I'd not hold back and kiss her.

Tomorrow we go back to the academy, back to our roles as employees of Cackles Academy. The small moments we shared all those months ago becoming less frequent and I didn't want that to be the case.

But I've never been in love before. How do I not know this is just some crush that I've made up and fantasized about.

The doubt ruined my mood as I finally stood and trudged up the stairs to bed. Tomorrow I will make the most of our last day before we fly back to the Academy. Only a few hours to have Constance to myself.

If only I knew what this means, then all these confusing thoughts were clear.