Prolouge

I looked down at my long wavy brown hair as it hung over my chest. It almost touched my belt. I squeezed my eyes shut and then opened them again. Avery was staring at me in the mirror, biting her lip almost as hard as I was biting mine. Our matching blue eyes met and I finally spoke.
"Do it."
"Are you sure?" Avery quickly asked after my command. I took a deep breath and pulled my hair back behind my head. I looked up into the mirror at myself.
"Do it." Avery gave me a small hopeful smile and began snipping away. I squeezed eyes closed as I had done before and I held my eyes shut the entire time.
20 minutes later, Avery steps back and sighs.
"Done." She says. I can't tell if she's excited or terrified. I open my eyes and look at her. She's got a worried expression on her face. I look down. My brown hair is all around my ankles.
"Is it-- bad?" I ask. Slowly, Avery shakes her head. She gives me a smile.
She turns my chair around to face the mirror. My hair is cut in layers, just above my shoulders. I have bangs, but Avery swept them to the side. I feely silky soft hair.
"Do you like it?" She asks me. I nod, even though my eyes are filling with tears. She hugs me.
"Everything's going to be alright."