Shipboard Organisational Structure

To provide clarity, here is a concise explanation of the organizational structure aboard a ship.

Picture from: Chiltern Maritime

Captain/Master: The captain is the highest-ranking officer on board and is responsible for the safety, navigation, and overall operation of the vessel.

Chief Officer: The chief officer, also known as the first officer or mate, is second in command and assists the captain in overseeing the operation of the vessel. They are responsible for the cargo handling, navigation, and maintenance of the vessel.

Second Officer: The second officer is responsible for the navigation of the vessel and assists the chief officer in managing the crew and cargo.

Third Officer: The third officer is responsible for the safety and security of the vessel and its crew. They typically oversee the maintenance of safety equipment and assist the second officer in navigation.

Chief Engineer: The chief engineer is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the vessel's mechanical and electrical systems, including engines, generators, and other equipment.

Second Engineer: The second engineer assists the chief engineer in managing the mechanical and electrical systems of the vessel.

Third Engineer: The third engineer assists the second engineer in maintaining and repairing the vessel's machinery.

Electrician: The electrician is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and repair of the vessel's electrical systems.

Boatswain: The boatswain, also known as the bosun, is responsible for the maintenance of the vessel's deck, equipment, and cargo.

Able Seamen: The able seamen are responsible for the general maintenance and operation of the vessel, including deck work, navigation, and cargo handling.

Ordinary Seamen: The ordinary seamen are typically the least experienced members of the crew and are responsible for assisting the able seamen and other officers with various tasks.

Deck Cadet: A deck cadet is a trainee officer on board a merchant ship who is undergoing a period of practical training in order to become a fully qualified deck officer. The duties and responsibilities of a deck cadet can vary depending on the vessel and the shipping company, but they typically involve assisting the senior officers and crew members with various tasks related to the operation of the vessel, including navigation, cargo handling, and maintenance of the deck and equipment.