16: Davina Can Get Sky Anywhere

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
DAVINA CAN GET SKY ANYWHERE

тєяяα

Davina apparently did have something to do with Sam because she's in the greenhouse with him, doing some kind of nature-based project. She's always been fascinated by what they choose to make - they do one every few months. She hadn't realized they'd do one now with everything going on.

But she also knows to not interrupt their nerd process so she goes to her dad, asking, "Do you need any help?"

He keeps working. "Nope. This is a special project. Easy for me to wrangle on my own. But if you want to strip hydrangea roots for me..."

She had been hoping to find out what he was doing. "I should probably finish my homework."

"Really?" Sam teases. "Because it seems pretty done to me."

"Samuel," Davina warns. He raises his hands with a laugh, turning back to their project, and instantly jumping back into their nerdy conversation. They make her want to become as nerdy as they are but she also then doesn't want to - she's nerdy enough as is. She's certain that it's their confidence that makes them popular... not caring what people think of them... both things Terra doesn't have.

There's a knock on the door. Davina glares for someone other than the people inside the greenhouse interrupting the time set aside for the project. Sam gets to his feet as soon as Dane is revealed. Davina connects the dots a little later but no one can blame her since it had been in a long run-down from when she was gone.

"Hey, Terra," he says. "Can we-" He stops when he notices the Terra-Protection Progam.

Terra puts her hand out to stop them. "While I appreciate that it is the historical perspective of the patriarchy to save women from upsetting situations but, um, I've got this." Her dad returns to his work. Sam sits back down while Davina glares a moment longer. She's aware neither of the teenagers are actually focused on the project yet from the lack of nerd speak she hears as she walks toward Dane.

He manages to say, "You didn't answer any of my texts."

"I've been busy."

Dane realizes and breathes out. "I just wanted to say... I'm sorry. You've been great to me and-"

"Yeah, I have. I'm a good person, Dane." He looks down. "I think you are, too, but I'm... not really sure I care to find out any more." She grabs the side of the door just as softly as her words to him are. "Just a word of advice," he looks at her, "be careful of who you trust." Before he can say anything more, she closes the door on his face.

Sam says, "Still kind of wanna punch him."

"I'd join you," Davina mutters, remembering everything Terra had filled her in on. They fist-bump, returning to their work again.

When her dad is gone, she goes up to his stuff, frowning at the pages he had left there along with the ingredients she's barely seen. Sam and Davina are still lost in their nerd world so she sets everything back down quietly, wondering what she should do now. She glances at the clock, understanding that her brother and almost-sister are pretty much done for the day, and quickly makes her own exit.

вℓσσм

She should be listening to Aisha and probably shouldn't be down in the basement but when has that ever stopped her before? It hasn't. So, here she is... back in the dark basement. Every inch seems identical but she doesn't worry about getting lost because worrying keeps her from exploring and she needs to explore but it does result in her getting scared by Davina closing the door she's looking through.