XI

Selene finally arrived home. She walked around the meadow, scanning the woods for any creature in need of help. Everything was quiet. She sighted and entered her cottage. She made herself a cup of warm tea and took a seat on the porch, looking up in the night's sky.

Father, what should I do? I don't understand. Am I meant to leave here, alone? Am I supposed to trust the wolves?

She began thinking about Maximus. Selene was impressed with him, she could feel his power radiating, enveloping her like a blanket. She has never felt that much adoration directed to her since Soren left her. Was that man truly her soulmate? What about her duty? She thought she was supposed to protect the forest, a task given my the Goddess herself. What if her journey was just starting? What if, that pack and meeting Mathias, was not a coincidence? Thinking about the last couple of days was making her doubt everything. She has never seen anyone like Maximus. His image clouded her thoughts.

*************************************

I told you she wouldn't take it lightly."

„Don't be sad, brother. She will make the right decision, with a little guiding. There is no need to worry. I have given Selene everything she needs to bring peace again to our Kingdom."

Soren trusted the goddess, as she was the wisest and most powerful to ever exist. But he couldn't stop his worry for his daughter. He knew she was a little stubborn and would put the needs of others before her own, even if it meant living in solitude forever.

*********************

Selene started sobbing in her palms, frustrated that she didn't know what to do. Soren's guidance was gone, but she didn't really feel it was missing because every day since he left, everything was normal.

„Go, child" Her head jerked up. 

„Father?"

„Go to him, my moon." Her sobs became harder, joy spreading to her at the realization of her beloved father watching over her.

„Be happy, flower." Selene looked at her star, next to the shining moon.

 „Ok, father. I trust you... I love you."

She closed her eyes, falling into a deep slumber.

Selene didn't have much. The dress she wore was enough and would only wear a pelt in the winter, to keep her warm from the cold. She had the silver knife of Soren, tucked in her belt, and her bow and arrows on the back. All her life, she has let the forest take care of her, not having to worry about anything. Well, we'll wait and see. Standing in front of her home, she closed the door. „I promise I'll come visit."

Arriving at the border, she only stopped to take a look back. She would miss her home, the safety it provided and the connection to the nature, so up-close. But she always felt lonely. Meeting new people was like a breath of fresh air. Especially the golden eyes. She asked the forest for permission and they parted for her, allowing her passage. „This is not a goodbye".

Her eyes fell on the people walking around. Laughter and happiness everywhere, she moved towards the place they called home, where they took her the day before. Wolves stopped to watch her, mesmerized by her presence. Selene smiled to them, knowing her protector aura could be felt. They were whispering among each other, trying to figure out who she was. She didn't look like a wolf, nor a rogue, but she wasn't from their pack. Some realized she came out from the forest they call cursed, but she payed the title no mind, as she knew it was not true and her home was not evil.

In front of her, figures were seen running. Maximus and the others heard the commotion outside, near the border and were hopeful it would be Selene, changing her mind. And indeed she was. Standing in front of them, she smiled.

„Ok... I'll stay."

Maximus ran at her like a mad-man and embraced her. He put his head in the crook of her neck and smelled her scent. She smelt like rain and roses. Thank you, goddess. Selene was startled by the contact, but the connection she felt to this man was like nothing she has ever experienced. She put her hands around his neck, enveloping him in a hug too. 

„You'll stay?" She heard him ask, in a whisper, tightening his hold, as if she would disperse into thin air.

„I'll stay".