💙 ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

"It's complicated!" Loak grimaced as the Recom yanked him back by his braid.

Spider hissed at them as they grabbed him. The gang struggled against the Recoms' grip as they were each held down.

"Well, what do we have here?"

One of the Na'vi spoke English, which Hazel assumed was the leader. Only then did it dawn on her that she had been speaking and understanding a different language.

But how? Was it because of the body she was in?

Then an unexpected realization opened her eyes. If they can speak English, then maybe they can help her.

"Wait! I—I can speak English," she exclaimed in English, drawing their attention.

A look of confusion and shock passed between the Sully siblings and Spider. They didn't know Ayavi was able to speak English. Perhaps Neteyam taught her, or did she learn it from one of the Sky People at High Camp?

"Oh?" The leader's ears perked up as he approached her, a sly grin on his lips. "Are you one of his?"

"What?" Her brows creased in confusion. "I don't know what you're talking about but, listen, I need help. I—I don't know how or why but somehow, I—"

He laughed, cutting her off. "Need our help?"

"No, listen to me, you moron! I don't belong here—"

She stopped short when he suddenly reached forward to touch her face.

"No! Don't touch her!" Loak hissed in English, capturing the leader's attention as he stepped away from Hazel and toward him.

"Show me your hands," he stated, gazing down at Loak, who responded with a hiss instead.

Loak grunted in pain as the Recom Na'vi grabbed his braid aggressively from his comrade.

"I said, show me your hands, boy," he said in broken Na'vi.

Loak glared up at him as he lifted his five-fingered hands and flipped him off. However, the Recom Na'vi was unfazed as he scoffed.

"You're his, alright."

As the evening wore on, it became darker and darker. In the time it took for the Recoms to communicate for transport, Hazel noticed what seemed like bioluminescence emanating from the nature around them.

While they waited, their leader warned them to keep their guard up at all times. Upon seeing Loak and Kiri stop struggling, Hazel realized something was strange.

Then she heard it—the sound of someone yipping from a distance. Likewise, the gang turned toward the source of the sound.

Before she knew it, an arrow pierced through the Recom Na'vi holding onto Kiri as Tuk bit the arm of the one holding onto her.

In a matter of seconds, Hazel followed Tuk's action, only to have the Recom Na'vi's elbow strike her head as he screamed from her bite.

She stumbled back, her forehead throbbing painfully as Loak quickly took hold of her hand and jerked her forward.

"Come on! Let's go!" His voice echoed over the sounds of shots being fired.

However, they weren't able to get very far when one of the Recom Na'vi grabbed onto her braid and yanked her away from Loak.

"Aya!" He cried, reaching for her, but his father tackled him to the ground, away from the bullets.

"Let go of me, you stupid wannabe blueberry!" Trying to resist him, she cried out when he tugged on her braid.