3

When Taehyung heard the bell, he blinked open his eyes. He gets up and looks at his phone to see the time. It was 1:30. "Who is coming at such an hour?" he wonders before walking out of his room. Yeontan accompanied him as he descended the steps and went towards the door to open it. However, he had never anticipated seeing what he did. Nearly nine months after their split, Jeon Jeongguk was standing there, completely drenched in the rain.

"Jeongguk? " He murmurs, struggling to believe what he is seeing. Jeongguk's cheeks and nose were a deep red, and he was clearly shivering from the cold. Before Taehyung could ask any of the thousands of questions racing through his mind, a tiny ball of fur launched itself into Jeongguk's arms, where he quickly caught it and embraced it.

"Tan-ah... Appa missed you too, baby," Jeongguk says, looking at the dog with fond eyes while Yeontan licks all over Jeongguk's face. The lawyer nuzzles his face in Tan's fur, relishing in the warmth as he holds Tan tightly to himself. But then he suddenly remembered the situation he was in, and he coughed before standing up with Yeontan in his arms.

" He.." Jeongguk starts, but Taehyung immediately raises his hands, motioning for him to stop. Jeongguk seals his mouth shut, lips pressed into a thin line.

"Come inside first; you look like you're going to get hypothermia soon," he murmurs before turning around and going inside. The lawyer wordlessly follows him. Taehyung goes upstairs and returns after a few minutes with a set of clothes and a towel.

"First, dry yourself and change. We'll talk after," he says, his voice hard but a small hint of concern swam in those blue orbs. Jeongguk places Yeontan on the ground before sitting on the couch.

" Can...." He swallows, gathering all the courage he has, and asks, "Can..you dry my hair like you did before?"

It was silent for a minute, and Jeongguk was afraid to look back at his ex-husband, too scared to see the hatred on his face, but he somehow managed to look up. Taehyung was staring at him with an undecipherable face. Jeongguk closed his eyes, already regretting what he said. "I'm sorry...it's okay," he croaks, his lips trembling. Taehyung sighs before taking the towel and standing in front of the lawyer. He really didn't want to do this, not after everything he went through, but he was aware of the chaos in Jeongguk's professional life, and the lawyer looked in a really bad condition, so he didn't have it in him to reject it. He wordlessly wraps the towel over his ex-husband's hair before drying it. 

Jeongguk relishes the feeling of having the only person he ever loved back in his life, and in the spur of the moment, he wraps his arms around Taehyung's waist, burying his head on the older's stomach. Taehyung freezes at the action, not knowing how to react. "Please...just for a moment, please let me stay like this," Jeongguk mumbles, his voice muffled over the older's stomach. Taehyung remained motionless, his hands hovering over Jeongguk's head. Jeongguk sniffled lightly, his tears wetting Taehyung's t-shirt. But the older stood still and clenched his fists, controlling himself to not caress the other's hair. He didn't want to be overbearing anymore. He was done with all that. When the silence stretched on, Jeongguk slowly detached himself and wiped out his tears with his sleeves.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to, I just got carried away," he says, gazing down at the carpet. Taehyung nods and moves the clothes closer to him. Jeongguk takes it and goes upstairs without saying anything. He returned downstairs after freshening up and changing to find Taehyung in the hall with two cups of hot cocoa. He looked so warm and cute in a soft pink hoodie and pants, and Jeongguk fought himself not to go and just cuddle with him all night. He comes to sit across from Taehyung and accepts the mug of hot cocoa.

"So, what brings you here?" Taehyung asks directly, without brushing around, and takes a sip of his drink.

"To be honest, I don't know myself; I just started without any particular destinations in mind and just followed where my heart led me," he pauses, taking a glance at Taehyung, who still remained passive, his face giving away nothing. "I am so sorry, I know I am causing you an inconvenience, but things are a bit messy back in Seoul, and I don't know if you are aware...," Jeongguk sighs.