Chapter 9

Darek didn't sleep much that night. The sounds of footsteps kept echoing through the hall. He opened his eyes once from a dream and swore he saw a silhouette of a woman standing across from him in his cell. He couldn't scream, he couldn't move, but he watched in horror as it moved like it were in agony and pain. It moved toward him. He managed to find the will to holler out in fear. A light turned on, and a guard ran to his cell. When they arrived, Darek was pressed up against the wall behind his bed,

"Stay away from me!" he screamed. The woman whom only he could see, was still advancing toward him.

"Don, why did you kill me? Why did you kill our daughter? Why did you do it?" it asked him.

"I don't know what you're talking about! I've never killed anyone! My name's not Don. It's Darek! Leave me alone! He pleaded. The guard entered the cell, and the spirit vanished from sight.

"Are you okay, man? That was some wacky dream you had."

"Yeah. I'm okay. Did you not see that woman that was in here just now?"

"No. I didn't see anyone when I came in. You sure you aren't on drugs?"

"No. I'm not on drugs." It was all in my head. It was all in my head. He repeated that phrase over and over in his mind. He was Darek Muller, and he'd never killed anyone in his life.

Luckily for him, Officer James placed him back in the cold room. He hated being alone right now. He would rather be interrogated than be locked up.

"I'm going to have a psych evaluation done on you. I'm certain now more than ever that you're insane. Now you're seeing ghostly women. Come on, man! Get your act together. Get your head on straight. There isn't such a thing as ghosts. You understand? Ghosts aren't real!" Darek was shook up. He couldn't answer. He had no answer. The ghost he saw was all in his head. He wasn't going insane, was he? He hoped not. "We'll figure out who you really are once we have that warrant to test your DNA. The door opened. Adam popped his head in.

"We got it." He held up a folded piece of paper.

"Looks like today is our lucky day. I still want a psych evaluation done on this guy. It might prove useful to us."

"Great! I'll fetch the psychologist. First let's grab this guy's DNA." They used a cotton swab to collect his saliva and sent it down to the forensics lab to be tested.

"Pretty soon we're going to have ourselves a party, and you're the main dish," he whispered evilly to Darek. Darek shivered more. Officer James laughed. It's all in my head, he repeated. It's all in my head.