Epilogue

Darek Muller sat silently in his cell. His court date was soon. He only hoped and prayed nothing would come of it. He knew, of course, that he wasn't a lawyer. Neither was he Don French, the successful businessman. In fact, he wasn't anyone anymore. He held his head in his hands and quietly sobbed. He cried – not because he was remorseful – but because he knew he'd been caught. He had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide anymore. He had nothing. He had lost everything. Now, he was completely alone. There was a thumping sound. He looked up. Standing across from him was the silhouette of a woman and a child. "Here it comes again," he said softly to himself. "I can't stand anymore of this. If you're going to take your vengeance on me, then please do it now, so I will no longer suffer from this burden of guilt I feel."

The shadows looked at each other. They walked toward him. Another shadow stood behind him. This one was the shape of a man. "My mind is playing tricks on me again. It must be the coffee I drank." His life flashed before his eyes. All those he had murdered stood around him. "It was meant to happen after all. Now, I can receive my punishment in Hell as I deserve it."

The guard on duty that night heard him cry out into the darkness. When they checked on him, he was dead on the floor of the cell. It is still a mystery to this day as to how it occurred.

The End