i. DETENTION

A BRIGHT day was ahead

A BRIGHT day was ahead. No, it wasn't. Not for this guy right here sleeping with his mouth open and drooling all over his pillow. He could feel a pair of hands shake him, alerting the boy to wake up from his bed. He looks up and sees his father signing a good morning to him with a smile.

Zhen was a deaf kid. He could talk, but not hear a word.  When he was around ten, Zhen suffered a massive head injury that caused him to go deaf. He climbed up a ladder to help his uncle carry paint, the paint was way too heavy and next thing he knew—his head hit the car window and he heard ringing in his ears.

It just started with faint voices, next thing he knows he can't hear absolutely anything. He can't even hear himself speak anymore..His brain can't even function correctly, reason to why he's slow sometimes.

Since then, Zhen's pretty sure he barley spoke to his dad. He wishes he could hear the wind again, his favorite tv show, music...the things he would do to listen to music again.

Zhen made his way to the kitchen, he didn't eat breakfast. He was never hungry in the morning. His father comes and grabs the keys off the wall next to the door. It was just them both.

His mom left when he was a kid, so he never really met her. But, he liked it being just them. It felt relaxing and it was pretty fun.

But he enjoyed it sometimes. Don't get me wrong, Zhen loves his father. Just not when he's drunk, the judge mental side of him, the side not a lot of people have seen.

He watches out the window as he gets driven to school. He loved the world. It was so pretty so him, he imagined it sounded beautiful like before.

The car pulls in front of the school. Kids walking, biking, or skating to this place. The male looks up, taking a deep breath as he stares at the tall building. A tap was felt, Zhen turning himself to face his father.

The boy had zero friends. He never has since he started coming to school in 7th grade. The sixteen year old was just...there. He was a background character his whole life.

"I want you to know, I love you." His looks at his fathers hand motions, reading his lips when he could. Zhen nods with a smile. Him and his father weren't exactly on the rich side...prior to the reason he doesn't have hearing aids. They can't afford any of it. They live in a one bedroom apartment, his father sleeps in the living room. You do the math.

Zhen signals a thank you before getting out of the car, wrapping his backpack around him as he shuts the door. The teen makes his way into the school, walking past the principal's office.

Zhen does his locker combination, grabbing the books he needed for his stupid class. He shuts the locker, making it sure it didn't sound loud. He could tell from how slow he went.