Chapter 11: An Empty Heart

Hanji's POV

Just like at Libero High, Zeke invited me to the library for some studying time. I wanted to turn him down, but I couldn't. Dismissing myself from my science club, I went with Zeke. And as usual, Zeke gave me an empty notebook and our stack of books. Quietly, we worked through our textbooks with the sound of our pencils scratching at the pages in our ears. At one point, I stopped writing words and sketched a few drawings. I grew bored with the quietness of the library and I needed a break.

I paused for a few minutes, scrolling through my phone, and found a few messages from Levi. He was asking if I was okay and if I wanted a burger. He was going to be off work and on his way home within an hour, and he tried to get some fast food. I smiled at his messages and quickly typed up what I wanted to eat.

Zeke notices my behavior and puts his pencil down. "Hanji, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine." I sent my texts to Levi before putting my phone down on the table. My eyes ran to Zeke as he goes back to his notebook, continuing to write his notes. "How much longer are we going to be here?"

"Until the library closes. That's how it always is, right?" He finally looks up from his books before he pauses. "Why?"

"I want to go home early."

"That's not like you-."

"If I'm honest, Zeke," I felt anger rising in my heart and heard my voice gradually getting louder. It's like all the patience I had stored in a glass beaker was finally at its peak. It began to spill out on Zeke. "I don't want to study."

"You always did-."

"At one point, yeah. But this is ridiculous-." 

"It's those damn friends of yours, right? They're the ones changing you-."

"Zeke, they aren't the ones that are changing me. I'm the one that's changing me. I'll be honest, I only went to the library to study with you because you were my only friend. After moving here, Erwin and Levi are the only ones that let me do whatever I want, and they're fine with it." I began to pack up my books, not caring that the loose papers are crumbling. "I'm leaving."

"Hanji-."

"You can talk to me when you feel like apologizing."

"I apologize-."

"It doesn't work on the same day, Zeke." With a final zip of my backpack, I slung it over my back and began to walk away. "Goodbye, Zeke." Walking to the front of the library, I saw so many people staring at me with odd looks. There's no way I can return here without the fear of those many eyes on me. Such an embarrassment...

*   *   *

Mom and Dad were out on a case, and I was sitting in the living room watching TV. Levi's last text message was about 10 minutes ago, and I'm just waiting for his text that he's at my house. It's strange. When I first met him, it was Erwin that was open and always offering things to me. It was him that showed me around while Levi was a little calm. But now, Erwin has been a bit busy with speech and debate as well as doing community services. Levi... he's been opening up. I think it's somewhat cute...

A sudden knock came at the door, and I checked through the peephole, seeing Levi with his hands full. I open the door, smiling and welcoming him inside. "Come on in," I say, yet Levi didn't budge from his spot outside.

"Aren't your parents home?"

"They are out for the week. Come on in, it's okay. I won't bite."

"I know. I don't want you to get into trouble for inviting me in."