Twenty Four.

'Did you say, "No, this can't happen to me"
Did you rush to the phone to call
Was there a voice unkind in the back of your mind
Saying maybe you didn't know him at all'

Since her uncle was killed, Carina had been treated with an unspoken delicacy by the rest of the Slytherins, and even her professors. She had taken much more than a day out off lessons. During the last week, Carina had barely left her bed, let alone her dorm room. Blaise had been bringing Carina meals, pressing gentle kisses to her forehead between classes, wiping her tears when they spilled every night.

The rest of Carina's time was spent staring at the ceiling. There was nothing else for her to do. Carina was both inclined, and prepared, to spend the rest of fifth year in her dorm room.

That was until McGonagall came knocking. It had been around ten days since Carina had heard the news, when the professor walked into the dorm room.

"How are you, Black?" McGonagall asked, looking down at Carina.

Carina rolled her eyes, not bothering to answer. She wasn't even sure if she could speak.

"Indeed," McGonagall nodded, grim expression on her face. "I won't bore you with sympathy, dear. I'm sure you've had enough of that, but I am so sorry."

"More than enough," Carina muttered.

"You have a visitor. Would you like me to send him in?"

Carina shrugged, and McGonagall nodded, before walking out of the room. A moment later, the door swung open again, and someone walked inside, and Carina's blood ran cold.

Remus.

The man looked awful. He was unshaved, his hair was tangled and unruly, and he appeared unwashed.

Carina swiftly exited her bed, and rushed towards him.

Remus enveloped Carina, his chin resting on the top of her head.

"God, Carrie, what the fuck are we going to do?" Remus whispered, a sob caught in his throat.

Carina couldn't imagine how Remus felt. Was he there, when it happened? Did he see it? Had he spoken to anyone, since then? Did Remus feel it was inevitable, just like the voice at the back of Carina's mind? Remus had only just reconnected with him, and now he was gone. Did Remus even know the man he had become? He hadn't had enough time to figure him out, not really.

He thinks he knows how you feel. Tell him how wrong he is.

Carina just held him tighter.

~

Remus inhaled sharply, the scent of Carina's shampoo clouding his brain. She had always used the same one. Carina seemed smaller than she had just a couple of months prior. Younger, more fragile. It felt like she was a child again. Clinging to Remus for dear life. Almost like-

"Hiya, Remus," Vivienne smiled.

"Hi Uncle Moony!" Carina exclaimed, running towards Remus. Vivienne caught Carina by the arm, pulling her backwards.

Remus rolled his eyes, looking at the man stood next to Vivienne. He was tall, with broad shoulders and light hair. He had an arm around Vivienne's waist. Vivienne and Remus were very different when it came to hookups at that time. Remus would go for people with long dark hair and light eyes; Vivienne would go for people who looked nothing like Regulus.