Chapter Twelve

Ever since hearing about Noah being invited to play on a football team, Emily really did feel guilty. She knew it was all he ever wanted, but it was because of her that he said no.

The car revs as Noah pulls out of the driveway. "You're awfully quiet today." He points out. "Something wrong?"

Emily swallows a lump in her throat. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Noah looks over at her. "What do you mean? Tell you what?" There's a small hint of worry on his face.

"About the Broncos."

Noah's face falls, focusing back on the road.

"Noah?" Emily's voice comes out more frustrated than she hoped.

He sighs heavily. "Don't worry about that."

"Don't worry?" Emily huffs. "Noah, it's your dream to play on a national team. Why would you turn it down?" Her voice softens. "Is it because of me?"

"Emily," Noah starts, but then closes his mouth.

She leans a little closer to him. "I don't want to be the reason why you're not doing what you love."

Noah looks over at her, his face upset, an emotion she hates to see on him. "You're not, Em. And I am doing what I love." He smiles. "I'm engaged to the most beautiful girl ever and am going to be a father soon. I don't care about football, I care about you."

"So I am the reason."

Noah tilts his head slightly to the side. "Well, in a manner of speaking, yes. But it's also all the publicity and pressure of everything. And, of course, my doctor probably wouldn't let me play anyways."

Emily bites the inside of her cheek. That did make sense. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Why?" Noah makes a turn into a busy street.

"I shouldn't have been poking around in your business."

"You weren't." Noah states, parking in a spot in front of a large blue and yellow store. "Emily, you can ask me about anything. I'm an open book." He smiles, letting go of the wheel.

Emily softly smiles back. "Really?"

"Of course." Noah encourages.

"Are you nervous? About the babies. What it'll be like to be parents." Emily asks, being reminded how nervous she was.

Noah licks his lips and nods. "I am." He admits.

Emily nudges his shoulder. "Are you afraid of my dad?"

"Yes." Noah says through a tough laugh.

"Do you talk to any of your friends about your sexual life?" Emily smirks.

"Okayy, enough questions." Noah softly blushes.

Emily grins. "So that's a yes." She steps out of the car. Noah follows her, a slight embarrassed look on his face. He squeezes Emily's hand as they walk up to the large self-opening sliding doors.

"Look at this!" Emily pouts, holding up a soft yellow skirt about the size of her hand. "It's so cute and little. I can't believe a person can fit into this."

Noah smiles. "Yeah."
"We're totally getting these." She grabs two of the skirts and tosses them into the shopping cart.
"Wait, you're not going to be one of those Moms that make your kids wear matching clothes, right?" Noah raises an eyebrow.

Emily pauses for a moment, placing her hands on her hips. "I am. Do you have a problem with that?"
"No, it's just..." Noah rubs the back of his neck. "A little corny."