--4--

Lucy wasn't having the best time of her life right now. The next day, Lockwood insisted that they go shopping for formal attire since the Agent's Ball was only right around the corner. Specifically, in six days. 

    So here she was, standing in the middle of a clothing department with George sitting behind her, equally as uncomfortable. Neither of them were born in the life that Lockwood has seemed to have been born in. 

     They were surrounded by hundreds of dress, gowns, suits, you name it. All looking fancier than anything they've ever seen. 

     And there was Lockwood, calm, confident and seemed to be completely in his element. 

  "Blues, greys and blacks are normally her colours, so we can try these two silver and grey gowns here, and these black dresses, and also those blue gowns there," Lockwood was saying.

      "I could be doing tons of research right now," George muttered under his breath. 

   Lucy had to admit, research was sounding a lot more appealing at the moment. 

      "Here you are Luce, try these out," Lockwood showed her the rack containing ten long evening gowns. 

     Lucy's jaw dropped. 

  Each dresses looked more fancy and more elegant than the last. The colour palette consisted of silvers, blacks and blues in varying shades, however leaning more on the darker side. 

     "I think you would look better in either black or blue," Lockwood whispered into her ear. 

  "Come this way," The shop assistant led Lucy towards the dressing room as two others followed pushing the clothing rack between them. 

     Satisfied that she was in good hands, Lockwood turned on his next prey.

   George. 

⚔️⚔️⚔️ 

     Lucy tried on dress after dress. She took Lockwood's suggestion and discarded the silver and grey gowns, limiting her gowns to six, three blue and three black. 

     "Is he your boyfriend?" One of the assistant's whispered. 

  Lucy followed her gaze, landing on Lockwood who was forcing a pile of suits onto George as well as picking out some stuff for himself. 

     "What? No! He's my boss, my employer," Lucy blushed, fiddling with the sleeve of the black dress she had on. "We're close friends."

     The sales assistants shared knowing glances. 

   "How about this dress? It'll be an absolute show stopper!" The assistant pulled a shimmery blue dress with off-the-shoulder sleeves from the rack.

    "Blue is definitely more your colour. You currently look like you're about to attend a posh funeral,"  The second girl said, "No offence," She added hastily.

    "None taken!" Lucy laughed, "with the job I lead, a funeral seems highly more likely than a ball." She took the dress and went back into the changing room.

  A few minutes later she reappeared, looking from one girl to the next for feedback.

    Their jaws dropped. 

  "Oh that is definitely the dress to impress!" The first girl said. 

      "Mia! Grab the make-up kits and the jewellery! Beth, grab some shoes! We need to give you the whole look," The second girl dragged Lucy over to a row of vanity tables.