{Chapter 12}

Eden

After many confused facial expressions and a variety of well-articulated questions, Ominis finally felt caught up in our newest scheme of events. We all took the time to grab our long coats. The cool, crisp air welcomed us with each stride. It's like a slap of icy fire shooting through my cheeks. Our floo powder can only take us so far. Broom riding is less than pleasant in weather as cold as this. I shove my hands deep into my coat packets, passing glances at Sebastian the longer we all remain silent. He looks focused. His eyes scan the grounds of his home with looks of hate and love.

"Did you two grow up in a small town like Feldcroft?" Ominis finally questions.

He takes careful steps. His wand guides him regardless of Thoran's offer to help him out. With each small slip on the ice, Thoran instinctively reaches out toward him. His hand retracts almost as quickly as he springs them out. The tension is still heavy between them.

"Our parents despite being psychos were quite well off. We grew up in a town not far from Feldcroft... remnants of our manor still sit there. " Thoran says. A heavy pit grows in my stomach at the mention of our parent's existence.

"Remnants of a Manor?" Sebastian questions, his eyes darting down to me. My face is fixed forward along the path.

"It burned down the night our parents died," Thoran says, trying to divert the questions away from me.

"They deserved every second of it." I seethe. My hand brushes gently over my scarred back. 

The crowd goes silent. Clearly, we've hit a soft spot I'm not ready to open up again.

Sebastian pulls his worried expression into a smile, grabbing my hand from within my pocket to drag me off the side of the trail. I don't argue as I let him guide me to a bright yellow bush. With no warning, he drags his hand across the bush. A mirage of lit-up orbs shoots past my vision. I smile, taking in the light hitting his beautiful brown-green eyes.

"Lacewing flies. Professor Sharp would kill me for letting them fly away." He says, pulling me in for a hug. I press my head against his chest, his scent clings to every fiber of my being. I let his hands hold me tightly. His heartbeat is a strong pulse in my ears.

"Tonight-" he begins, quietly murmuring not wanting to interrupt Ominnis and Thoran's small banter. "Let me help you feel better." He says. His tone shifts. "I want to show you a proper night in with me," he says, his smile only grows.

I smile up at him. Fig's words coax my mind.

"Fig asked me to meet him tonight-" I begin. Thoran is now the one now entering the conversation.

"I'll cover your ass... if and only if you do the same for me next time I need you to," Thoran says, looking at Sebastian more than me.

"Planning on sneaking around with more Hufflepuffs?" Ominis scoffs. Thoran flares his hands in the air, silently cussing.

"It was one time-" Thoran begins. A small argument ensues between both him and Ominis.

"Tonight Pierce, you're all mine," Sebastian says, giving my neck a few small kisses before guiding me back along the trail with him.

All mine...something in that statement lingers in my mind before dissipating entirely. 

****

The sound of the goblins in conversation permeates the air. All of us instinctively dart behind a couple of large boulders surrounding the area. Thoran and I take one side, Ominis and Sebastian the other. Sebastian signals us all to be quiet, whispering to Ominis what I can only assume is a plan of action. I see a scowl leave Ominis. Curiosity grows within me about what Sebastian could have suggested that would be so off-putting. I gradually gaze around the bolder. Six goblins stand ready. All of them are guarding the remains of Isadora's house.