Chapter 3 ~ James

Madam Pomfrey was able to heal all of Lily's cuts and scrapes. She was glad that Moony hadn't bitten her. I hope Lily didn't find out I'm an illegal Animagus.

"You should get some sleep, Potter." Madam Pomfrey said.

"No thanks, I'll stay and watch Evans." I said.

She scowled, but she didn't kick me out. I spent the whole night trying to stay awake. I would literally do anything for this girl. I've dated so many girls, but none of them are like Lily. I would never admit that to her, though. I saw sunlight streaming in from the windows. Lily moved. She opened her eyes.

"What happened?" she asked.

"You were attacked. I dragged you to the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey healed you." I summarized.

"How long have you been here?" she asked.
"All night." I said. She raised her eyebrows and smiled.

"Thank you, Potter."

"Anything for you, Evans."

She blushed. I like making her uncomfortable, because it somehow gave me hope that she didn't hate me as much as she said she did. Madam Pomfrey walked in.

"Oh good, you're awake." she said.

"When can I leave?" Lily asked.

"I think you're good to go." Madam Pomfrey replied.

I walked her back to the common room. She smiled.

"Thanks for everything." she said.

"You're welcome." I said.

Then, she did something that surprised me. She threw her arms around me. My whole body was filled with a warm feeling. My stomach was doing somersaults. My heart skipped several beats. I hugged her back. Unfortunately, Padfoot walked by. He gasped.

"Lily and James, sitting in a tree, H-U-G-G-I-N-G." he sang.

"Oh shut up." I said.

"Prongs, I wanna sing the K-I-S-S-I-N-G one!" Padfoot whined. I rolled my eyes.
Lily let go of me. Her eyes were wide.

"What wrong, Evans?" I asked.

"Forest, nature, and cologne." she muttered.

"What?" I asked, totally lost.

"See you later, Potter, Black. I have to go." she said. She ran in another direction.

"Am I really that bad at hugging?" I asked in disbelief. Moony came up behind me.

"James, I think I know what happened. Let me go talk to her." Moony said, going after Lily.

"Was it something I did?" I said to myself.

Moony came back after a while, smiling.

"What's up?" I asked.

"My theory was correct." he said, beaming.

"So..." I said, waiting for an explaination.

"That information is between Lily and me." Moony said, smiling at my expression.

"You're so mean." I pouted.

"James, give her time. She'll tell you when she's ready." he said.

"You sound like she's going to tell me a huge secret." I mused.

"She is." he replied.

"What?"

"If only you knew."