Chapter 15

I hear muffled voices talking silently, with no signs of the screams I had heard before. Was the fighting over? I move my hands around and touch what’s underneath me, it’s soft. I fist it in my hands, It almost felt like a blanket.

My head was laying on something soft as well, like a pillow. 

I slowly try to open my eyes, squeezing them shut instantly as they get hit with a burst of light. I let out a groan, bringing my hand up to my head to block the light.

I hear the sound next to me quiet down as I open my eyes again not that they are adjusted to the light in the room.

“Huaisang!” I hear someone yell, I flinch at the sound. “Are you alright!?”

I blink the blurriness in my eyesight away, before I look up to see my brother. He looked at me worriedly his eyes scanning me over, he was wearing robes that had blood and rips in them. His hair was a mess, as well. 

I look up at him in confusion, why was he asking me if I was fine? 

“Da-ge…?” I whisper before I start coughing, my throat feeling dry and itchy. I bring my hand up to my mouth to cover it, as my eyes start to get watery.

“I-” I say gasping, “Water, I need water.” 

“Right!” He says quickly, seeing me coughing he reaches for something I can’t see,“ Here.” He holds up a cup of water in his hand. 

I lift my head up off the pillow, trying to sit up to drink the water. He notices my struggle and puts an arm around my shoulders helping me sit up slowly before handing the cup of water to me. I drink it all in one go, the water soothing my dry throat. I let out a sigh of relief, as I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand.

“Thank you Da-ge,” I say finally being able to talk without coughing, I smile at him. He nods back relieved I was talking fine, he takes the cup from me and sets it on the table next to the bed I’m sitting on. 

I pay no attention to him as I look around the room, I frown in confusion. The curtains were pulled apart to let light in, or well what was left of it. The sun was setting letting in orange rays of light, which were still bright but not as bright as it had been in the afternoon. It looks like dusk was setting in.

The room was a mess some grey robes were laying around and the table at the corner was surrounded by papers, there was a half-painted fan on the desk next to some paint---wait, my eyes widen in realization. This was my room. 

What was I doing in my room? I try to search in my mind for what happened before, but all of my memories seem jumbled up.  

“Young Master,” I hear a voice say, I look behind my brother and see our head discipline he looks relieved as he looks at me giving me a small smile. What was he doing here? “You are awake, I will go inform the healer.” He says bowing to me and my brother before walking out of my room.

The Healer? I frown even more, what was I forgetting? As if sensing my confusion my brother speaks up. 

“The healer said you might be a bit confused after you got up, and your memories will be uncoordinated,” He says, as he sits down next to my bed on a stool looking at my expression, “He said the Yin Metal took a toll on you, can you try to remember what happened? How you fainted? ” He asks me, looking at me in worry.

Fainted? I frown, that felt so familiar. I take a deep breath as I try to search in my memories concentrating as I retrace what happened. The Wen clan had ambushed us, then Xue Yang. The two wen disciplines and--Wen Chao. 

I let out a gasp as the memories slowly come flooding back, my hand shoots up to my neck where Wen Chao had held his sword, and I find it bandaged.

“Do you remember now?” My brother asks me, I look at him my hand still touching my neck, and nod. He slowly relaxes at my answer, “That’s good.”