|~Prologue~|

She wasn't always this bad, she was just treated as if she was nothing but a child - which she was - but she was so much more. They just couldn't see it. I knew her once, and she was nothing like how she is now; kind, funny, not afraid to make mistakes. Now? She's completely turned upside down. It's as if she had an evil doppelganger who switched places with her one day, as if she had snapped and everyone thought nothing of it. Except me. I cared. She didn't realise that though. She pushed everyone away, including myself, and it was painful - not only to have been pushed away, but to watch her do the same to others. I wish I tried harder, but I easily gave up trying after about the 6th time of her shutting me out of her life. If I just barged in instead of easing myself in I may have succeeded. Then we wouldn't be here now. Mallory, I'm so sorry.

-

I was nothing; I felt like nothing, I was treated like nothing, I was seen as nothing. I was a no-good child who only caused pain and suffering which made everyone turn on me. I tried to ignore them and be a better person, but as fate would have it, it wasn't destined to be. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how hard I ignored the misfortunes that occurred in my everyday presence, it was always my fault. Always. There was this one day though that all of it stopped. Nothing bad happened, and everything was... normal. I thought that could be the chance I had been wishing for forever to show everyone how good I really am, but fate found its way into my life again and I snapped. They blamed tiny unfortunate circumstances on me - because who else would they blame when nothing else terrible or frightening has happened - just to have a reason to pick on me. I had enough. If I was so terrible, then I may as well make them tell the truth. The rest is history that I have happily buried, but one person still remains who knows the truth. I must remove them. Nobody must know. I was a good child, but nobody saw that. If they see hope in me now, it's too late. I've turned to the dark side and it welcomed me better than any living being ever did. I don't want to leave. I will get what I never got by any means possible. My eternal happiness.

-

See, I never really cared for drama or misfortunes. I was always too busy pickpocketing the rich and stealing from the market to care for village news. Occasionally though, I would steal a newspaper to keep myself up to date with the people, mainly to blend in better, but one headline caught my attention. 'Mischievous Mallory strikes again - She needs to be stopped' I reread the headline a few times to process what I was reading. The picture below showed a child with an innocent gleam in her eyes - or maybe it was tears - as she was backed into a corner by a mob of angry adults. This girl didn't seem 'mischievous' to me, so I sought her out. To be my friend, of course. If she was an outcast then we should stick together. I was sure she would take my offer, but I was deeply wrong. She pushed me away and screamed that I was just another kid they put up to their bidding so they wouldn't get their own hands dirty. Whenever I tried to explain myself, she interrupted me before my first word even left my mouth. I think she was so fed up with my attempts at disparity that she stormed away and began to run once she was far enough away. I watched her until she was no longer in view. Maybe she wasn't like me after all. Or maybe I needed to try harder to get my point across to her. A letter, maybe. It's too late for that now, it's been a long time since I saw that girl. A malevolent, maniacal woman took her place instead, and I now do her bidding from time to time. It's to keep myself alive, and everyone else who tries to intervene with her plans - which she decides to never reveal to me, her closest ally. I'm content with my life, however. It's quite nice. I still feel like the same kid as I was so long ago but taller, stealthier, quieter. I do like to act as a double agent sometimes though, Mallory can be quite unhinged and certain people need to be warned in case of an incident.

-

|~798 words~| Just a little backstory ;) I hope it's intrigued you!