Meeting

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I slapped my hand over my alarm clock and groaned. Wiping my eyes, I blinked up at my ceiling. School. I groaned again just thinking of it.

“Amelia! Get up, it’s time for school!” Came from my wall. Stretching I pulled myself up in a sitting position and stared sleepily at my closet. Why did we put it so far away? Feeling like a zombie, I slugged over to it and pulled out my clothes for the day.

Slipping them on, I walked to my bathroom and turned on my straight-iron. I braced my hands on the sink, and stared at myself in the mirror. Brown hair, freckles, and tan skin. So why am I the freak? Because of my eyes. No they aren’t just blue or green or brown. They’re silver. Who has silver eyes?! I don’t even know who they came from. My dad had blue ones and my mom had green ones.

Putting in my contacts and straightening my hair, I stood up straight and braced myself for the day. Hopefully Sophie, my step-sister, has already left. I don’t need to deal with her drama this morning. Grabbing my superman backpack, I jogged downstairs and slid into a seat at the island. I watched my step-mom glide around the kitchen, humming to herself.

She turned around and smiled at me, without stopping her humming. I smiled back tightly and glanced at the clock. Ten more minutes and I can leave.

“Do you want a quick breakfast, Amelia?” Macy, my step-mom, asked. I removed my eyes from the clock, and looked up at her smiling face.

“No thanks. You can’t cook anyways. I don’t want to die.” I replied with a flat look on my face. Her smile fell from her face, and soon she was marching over to me. I shrunk back in my seat and wished I kept my mouth shut. Damn me and my mouth.

“Shut up, you unworthy brat! You live in my house, you will not disrespect me,” she hissed, “ Do you hear me?”

My eyes turned into slits while I glared at her. “Loud and clear, Mom.” I hissed. She hated when I did that. I don’t even understand why I still do it, because every time I do, I get hurt.

Her arm stretched out and she wrapped her hand around my arm, and gave it a nice tug. With her nails digging in to my skin, she pulled my out of the chair and dragged me toward the door. I grimaced and tried to make her let go, but the harder I tired, the harder she squeezed. That’s going to leave a bruise.

She threw open the door and pushed me to the ground. Stumbling, I failed to catch my backpack, which went to the ground. Tripping over it, I landed on my stomach. Macy laughed and kicked my legs.

“You’re walking to school, brat. No car for a week and you’re doing Sophie’s laundry for two weeks.” She scowled at me and walked away, slamming the door. Coughing, I rolled onto my back and stared at the sky.

After having this down to you almost every day, you learn how to control your pain and know to hold back your shrieks and screams.

After my mom died when I was10, my dad turned to drinking and would bring home a new girl almost every night. After about a year, he meet Macy and soon after that, she and her daughter moved in. At first they were nice, but once I turned 13, she started acting all high and mighty. Sophie didn’t have to do anything, she was princess. While I was the one who cleaned the house everyday and cooked dinner. If I disrespected her, she would always leave me with bruises.

When I was 15, my dad died from a overdose and nothing was ever the same. He never laid a hand on me, never yelled at me, barely looked at me. But once he died, a part of me was just..gone. He was the only family left, and he was gone. I was all alone to look after myself. Even though Macy and Sophie were with me, I was never the same happy girl.

I was depressed for months, and my friends got tired of it and left me. Just got up and left. They never look at me, but when they catch my eye in the hall, they sneer or glare at me. I learned to keep my head down, and not speak to anyone.

After living with Macy and Sophie, I went to school every week with a new bruise on me. I don’t wear short sleeved shirts and never put my hair up. People don’t seem to notice that I never wore long sleeve shirts either. They don’t care about the loner. I stay out of their way, they stay out of mine.

Pulling myself up to my knees, I gathered my books and shoved them into my backpack. Straightening back up, I dusted off my knees and rubbed my arm. Glancing at it, I decided not to look at it. It would most likely ruin my day.

I slung my backpack on my back, and started my walk to school. It takes about 10 minutes to walk there, so I should have 5 minutes to go to my locker.

***

Walking up the steps to the school, I pushed open the doors and walked inside. I put my head down and moved around a group of people to get to my locker. I set my bag on the floor, and spun my lock. A shocked squeal escaped my lips when I was suddenly pushed into my locker. Feeling pressure on my back from the stranger, I quickly spun around. My wide eyes meet a pair of shocked blue eyes.

“Shit! I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to run into you, my friend tripped me.” He spoke. His voice came in a rush and his eyes never left mine. I ran my eyes over his face, and back up to his eyes. Wow. He’s seriously speaking to me? Is he new?

Taking a deep breath, I leaned back onto my locker. “It’s alright, you just kind of scared me.” I smiled softy at the boy and turned back to my locker. I could feel his eyes on me, but I never turned around.

“Still, I apologize for running into you.” He responded. “My names Mason Pierce.  I’m new this year. I'm a senior." Knew it.

I grabbed my books for the morning and shut my locker. Turning around I spoke to him, “Nice to meet you.” I quickly stepped around him, and walked down the hall before he could respond.  

 "Wait! Whats your name?!" I heard him shout, but I was already around the corner.