Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Another dry day as Pharaoh.

Another day showing to the other kingdoms.

Another day of enduring the Sages.

It had been 5 years since his parents had died. He wasn't sure how or when, but they seem to have both been murdered by someone. Pretty alone, he only had two people he could say we're his friends. But Mahad and Seto would be caught up at the moment dealing with the military and whatnot.

He would sometimes look out the window to his room and into the city and wonder what it would be like out there. Being free, not having to abide by any sort of rules.

The Sages had basically been his caretakers since his parents died. However, he absolutely hated them. They would constantly abuse him and if he said anything or broke any rule, he would be severely burned by their intense fire magic. Then when it came to public showing, the would put over an illusion spell to hide it and would demand that no one touch the pharaoh. After all, if they did, the illusion would break.

He wanted to run away, but if he did, He would be met with death, and the Sages would frame it as an freak accident.

No matter what he did, he couldn't cry for help.

-----

Everybody seemed to either respect or hate the little thief known as Mana.

In a world full of magicians and magic casters, for someone devoid of magic, she was pretty strong.

She felt like she was the only one who saw through the Palace higher ups lies. She suspected that the Sages were the biggest liars of them all, and she wanted to hate the pharaoh too but, she couldn't find a good reason to. Not after what happened a week ago anyway.

She was planning to rob one of the Sages when she noticed the Great Pharaoh walking alongside them, getting ready for another meeting.

Great, now this is probably a bad idea. I should get out of here.

Her gut told her to eavesdrop. She couldn't believe what she heard.

"So you know how this goes by now, right?" A low voice came out of the dark, red hooded figure.

"Yes..."

Upon closer inspection, she realized that the pharaoh had a giant burn scar coming from out of his neck. None were present on his face however.

The Sage casted a spell that looked like an illusion spell. All of a sudden, the scar was gone.

"We're ready. Let's get going."

The pharaoh had no response and just looked on sadly. She felt so bad for him, and hated the Sages even more than she already did. She wanted to go down there and beat the crap out of that Sage but by the time she finished processing the new information, they were gone.

Unfortunately, money was tight and tonight was the night that she would break into the Palace and rob the place. She was specifically looking for one item.

The Millennium Puzzle.

An item that is capable of boosting the physical and mental abilities of anyone that has it's blessing. The pharaoh was always seen wearing it, so he could give his guards a boost in power at will. Pharaohs would be specifically trained how to use it, and this one was no different.

She had been given specific instructions on how to enter the Palace and evade the eyes of the watchful guards. Specifically from her friend Bakura.

"Now, you have everything ready for tonight right?" Bakura was mentally pacing around in his head, worried that the worst would come and she would be killed.

"Relax Ra! I've got everything under control."

"And remember, if anything goes wrong you-"

"Abort the mission and run straight home, yeah, I get it!" She said, finishing Bakuras sentence.

"You don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine. I can put up a pretty good fight!" She confidently flexed her muscles.

"Ok, just be safe, ok."

"Alright, I promise to be safe."

She waved goodbye to her friend as she began her way to the Palace.