˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

The morning dew led to growing wet patches on Eliza's knees. She could feel the cold seeping through her layers, but wouldn't allow herself to change positions. She knew she didn't deserve the comfort. With a shaky breath, she finally raised her eyes to look at the glistening slab in front of her. The information inscripted held such familiarity, yet any warmth that had been was now empty and cold.

Annabeth Walters. Loving daughter, sister, friend. 2001-2023

Eliza tried to brave a smile as she furiously wracked her brain for the right words. A strangled hey escaped her before she shook her head, biting back tears as she tried again.

"Hey." One word down. That's a start. "It's been a long time, I know...I'm sorry I didn't visit sooner." The haunting silence of the stone in front of her forced Eliza to close her eyes. She was beginning to regret coming. The pain was welling up inside her like a balloon ready to pop. Memories of the accident flashed before her.

Getting the call and rushing to the scene, only to find Anna's frail body behind the wheel. Eliza could still so vividly feel how her limbs had frozen. Her partner's voice becoming a mere echo as her head pounded, then being shaken out of her trance and trying-no...failing to save her best friend. So many promises of safety and always being there broken. She should have done better, she could have done better! She-

Eliza's eyes snapped open at a feeling of warmth on her shoulder. She whipped her head around to find no one there. However, when she looked once again at the headstone, it no longer stood as a reminder of her guilt and blame. Now that she focused more in fact, she swore she could hear what Anna would say.

It's okay.

The tears she had been holding back were becoming scarily close to overflowing as she quipped back at the voice in her head.

"But it isn't! If I hadn't frozen, if I had moved quicker! I could have done more and you would still be here."

Is that really what you think?

Eliza grimmaced. Hospital staff had all told her that the injuries were too severe. The same ending would have come about even if anyone acted differently. No matter how hard she tried though, it was a fact she just couldn't let herself accept.

"I shouldn't have worked that night. I should have gone with you! I could have stopped you from ever getting in that car..." Her words began to stick in her throat as she choked on sobs that were finally released. She exhaled a shuttering breath as the warmth on her shoulder spread across her chest, engulfing her like a blanket. Anna's voice washed through her mind once again,

Don't blame yourself love. The universe just decided it was my time. I'll be in your heart until we meet again in our next lives.

Eliza felt herself let out a chuckle. She could almost swear Anna was really here talking to her. That girl had always put so much faith in fortunes and fate.

The sound of bells brought Eliza out of her thoughts as it dawned on her just how much time had passed. She stood up and brushed off the stray sprigs of grass, saying her goodbyes and making promises to come back soon. The weight in her chest hadn't disappeared, but she felt a shard of betterment. A start to being okay. As she set down a bouquet of sunflowers, Eliza closed her eyes, feeling an easy breeze flow through her hair.

Give it time. The voice gave a faint an final call. In time you will move on, just like the wind.