Swanson

Orville felt better in spirit and clearer in mind today than he had in years. In the time since he'd run from the bank, since the day he'd stumbled into the Church of the Holy Blessed Virgin, he'd worked himself to sobriety.

But he hadn't managed it alone. Sister Calderón, Brother Dorkins and Father O'Leary had rejuvenated his love for the Lord and a simple church service. And now, he had been honored with the opportunity to accompany Sister down to Mexico.

"Are you nervous, Reverend Swanson?" asked Sister Calderón on the bench beside him, having watched his leg bouncing since the moment they sat.

He and Sister were the only occupants of Flatneck Station this afternoon, awaiting the train that would open the next chapter of his life ahead.

At her question, Orville stilled his leg and admitted sheepishly, "The last time I was in this location, I was not in a good state, Sister. Not at all."

His stomach curled uneasily with this confession. He'd been at one of his lowest points at that time and feeding his addiction. He'd drunk excessively and gambled, nearly betting the clothes on his back to stay in the game.

"Ah." Sister Calderón looked around as if she could observe his messy memories. "I see."

"If I'm being truthful, it's reminding me of my unworthiness, Sister."

Instead of berating him of his past actions, Sister nodded. "We all fall on hard times, Reverend. It's what makes us stronger. It's what keeps us appreciative of the world around us."

"Everything is supposed to happen for a reason," Orville commented. "But some days have been more difficult than others."

God had thrown him many obstacles recently, even when he had reached a point of betterment for himself. He and Sister had left Saint Denis on a train yesterday, full of optimism, excitement, and hopeful anticipation.

Without providing explanation, authorities posted at Emerald Station wouldn't let them get off the train, where they needed to switch rails to continue the journey south. They were forced to move along to Valentine.

After they disembarked, the clerk at Valentine Station informed them the next train wouldn't be arriving until the morning. Orville and Sister had to search for rooms in Valentine for the night, which had proven difficult when the younger, more fleet-footed riders reached the hotel faster than he and Sister could. The rooms had filled up by the time they made it. The hotel owner suggested for them to try the boarding house at Chadwick Farm on the outskirts of town.

They started their walk as the sun set, but the fading light was soon obscured by menacing gray clouds. In seconds, a thunderstorm was in full force. Their clothes were soaked and sticking to their skin, and their bones were chilled by the time they reached Chadwick Farm.

There was a room available, but the homeowner had decided to charge double that evening. Despite them being a nun and a man of cloth, the owner knew they were desperate so she took advantage of their plight. Orville tried to take it all in stride, handing over the money needed for them to have shelter for the night. With a new day, Orville expected a clean slate.

He had prayed overnight, but their troubles hadn't ended there. In the morning, when they made it back to the station, they discovered their train had arrived and left without them. It was enough gone wrong that he'd started fearing the Curse was rearing its ugly head again.

Through all the mishaps, Sister Calderón had been patient and accepting of whatever had been thrown their way, but Orville was on the breaking point with his frustration. Why had it seemed every time things were going right for him, he received so much push back from life itself?