Chapter 9

Max paid little attention to Asahel's dark Maserati as she followed him to the passenger's side. She might have reacted to it more with the cracked windshield, but he'd already replaced it. He opened the door for her, watching closely, trying to get a read on her. She was a drone, uninterested and unimpressed. She didn't light up at the sight of the expensive car like most girls do. Not that he wanted her to.

She slid into the seat, wincing slightly from pain, and he watched her for a second longer, waiting for her to buckle. When she went for the belt, he shut the door.

Max was one of the most unpleasant quiet passengers he'd ever encountered. He didn't make any small talk with her, and she kept her focus on the blurred surroundings outside the window. She was boring, seemingly bored, and uninterested in everything. She didn't seem to care where they were going, she didn't even ask. She wouldn't have cared if he was taking her to her death either.

He knew she was smarter than to think anything like that. Especially after he did what he could to save her life. She might not know everything that happened, but she had to have some kind of sense that she was there because of him. She didn't fear him, but she was also not in her right mind to fear anything. Not even death itself. In fact, she'd probably embrace it if he let her. Unfortunately, for the both of them, he kind of needed her alive. At least for now.

Asahel took Max to a small Greek restaurant where he ordered a gyro plate for her and water for himself. Inside wasn't very full of other guests, but that didn't stop him from picking a booth that took them out of everyone's view. While they waited for the food, he just watched her. She sat across from him with dull, dead eyes.

He hadn't even thought about what she was wearing or if she wanted to change before going out. Obviously, she didn't care about the black tank top and pants that fit her small body nicely. She was small, like a child, but still very much a young woman. The scrapes on her face and left arm were healing and now little scabs, and the bruises weren't so prominent anymore.

"So, is this supposed to be some kind of date? Cause you're doin' a real crappy job pretending to want to be here with me." Max said, meeting his eyes as the last word left her lips.

He wasn't sure if she was joking by the dryness in her tone and complete apathy in those lost blue eyes. "Speak for yourself. Your silence is as charming as rush hour traffic." He said the first thing that came to mind.

"Traffic is quite charming..." She said before looking up at the server bringing her food. The worker refilled Asahel's water and then left them alone.

Asahel waited a whole minute before blurting, "eat your dang food and stop wasting everybody's time."

He half expected her to glare at him, but those eyes remained low. Instead, Max looked down at her food as if staring at it long enough would help convince her to eat it. She picked up a French fry and dipped it in a cup of fry sauce. The first bite was a satisfying crunch and Asahel watched her hesitate to take another.

"Have you ever had a gyro?" He asked when she finished eating her third French fry.

Max shook her head before unwrapping the giant sandwich. The dark meat got her attention and she asked, "what is it?"

"Mutton." She looked at it with the same disinterest she's shown all night. "it's lamb."

"I know what mutton is." She explained.

Asahel willed himself not to bristle at her snide response. "Have you ever tried it?"

Max shook her head and took a bite, and he watched her chew. Her face showed she was judging its taste and texture, along with the white sauce and crunch of the onions and tomatoes all wrapped in the soft pita bread. She took another bite and Asahel felt the corner of his mouth try to curve upwards. He stilled his features and watched with almost as much satisfaction as she showed eating the food.