Chapter 17

Asahel forgot how cute Max was, even if she was a pain to deal with. He knew an attractive woman when he saw one, and he didn't mind the view of her exposed legs when she opened the door. The black hoodie was a little baggy on her little body, almost covering her shorts completely. Her white-blonde hair was straight, and his nose caught the scent of her fruity, sophisticated soap mixing with the cool rain. His body warmed, despite the rain soaking his clothes.

Max's blue eyes were wide as she cleared her throat. "What?" Her voice was higher than normal. "How did y-"

"You gonna let me in?" He growled at her from the rain.

She stared at him a bit longer before blinking and stepping aside. "Sure."

He stepped out of the rain and the house wasn't much warmer than outside. His senses were fully aware of the sweet fruity smells rising off her skin and hair and clothes. He looked around the empty foyer before finding her again.

"Don't you have a jacket or something?" she asked, looking at his wet clothes.

"It wasn't raining that bad when I left." He looked out the door, wondering why it was still open. "Going somewhere?" He raised a brow at her.

"And what if I was?" She swallowed and he could see her skin shiver as the cold blew in on her legs.

"Dressed like that?" His question made her cheeks warm, and he tried not to smirk.

"I was getting something out of my car. What are you doing here?"

He looked around again. "Making sure you're safe." The house appeared empty.

"If you still think I can help you then you're wrong." She said before going out into the rain.

Asahel grumbled, knowing he'd have to go back out there after her. He didn't think twice as he walked out of the house, following her to a dark Mitsubishi lancer.

"What if I said I wanted to help you?" He spoke once he was sure she could hear him over the rain.

She unlocked her car and opened the front door. He was glad for the door covering her as she dipped into the car and leaned over to the passenger seat. A black gun case. He mentally checked his gun hiding beneath his shirt and tucked into the back of his pants.

"I don't need help." She looked up at him before closing the door.

"Max," she bristled. "I know you're in a dark place right now." He said, hoping she'd hear him out. "I can help you get your brother thrown in prison. You're the only living and willing witness that could testify against him for murdering your sister."

Each word made her lips frown even more, "who says I'm willing?"

"You want him out on the street? If he knows you're back here, who's to say he won't come looking for you." He didn't expect the words coming out of his mouth to send genuine concern through him.

She held up the gun case, "I'll be ready." She said and then tried to walk past him.

Asahel stepped in her way, "Max. Wait."

She scowled up at him, "what, Asahel?" She never addressed him directly before, and he could tell it was weird for both of them. She cringed as if she'd tasted something sour.

Before he could ask himself why he was there, he remembered Rick's nonsensical babbling on the jet. "Why don't you take your anger out on me?" He offered.

"Who says I'm angry?" She was growing impatient with him now.

"Your dumb face." He stared down at her. "Take it out on me, tonight."